b18a engine build questions

natt2000

noo i believe an oil pan would be illegal. maybe an oil cooler though. well ive got pretty much all the info i need. im gonna compare the costs between rebuilding/tuning a b16 or building the b18. the b18 may eventually go lsvtec, but i think im leaning more towards the b16 anyways. b16 with the b18 tranny ofcourse. ill be running 3/8 to 1/2 mile tracks in second gear, so i need the little bit taller gear.

p.s. if you wanna talk about blowing motors, you should see last years b18. last race of the year i was coming out of the corner and i here a pop* crackle* and pull over. i have no idea what happened. all i know is half the rod was attatched the the piston, and the bottom part of the rod smashed up the inside of the block so badly i could see the oil passages drilled into the block. the bottom half of the rod then proceded out of the engine through the radiator. the engine was running at high rpms most of the time, but when it blew it was only around 3-4k. it probly started at the bolts.... but i have no real idea.

you can see the pics of my car in my profile

natt2000

ill still give it a rebuild. the b18 is lready built just needs some machine work and arp bolts and some small things, etc. ill probly let it sit in my garage in case the b16 goes down... or till i can save money to build it for lsvtec

hgocasca

level 77 troll
I wouldn't do lsvtec, personally. One or the other. Again, it's your car, I've just seen too many bad situations with it.

natt2000

i understand why you say that. id build it right if i went lsvtec, and wouldnt go passed 8k or so

hgocasca

level 77 troll
Ya, at least do the rod bolts and bearings

Prozon

Kris
It's just odd that they won't let you have a pan with baffles. It's not a performance gain, just helps with longevity of the motor.

Prozon

Kris
^^ Kind of what I was thinking about most of your mods. Not like they will crack open your engine to see what's inside lol.

natt2000

they could but someone would have to put up like 300 dollars to tech the motor. and no body even knows much about 4 bangers at the oval tracks anyways. the whole time ive been going to this track ive probly seen 3 motors that had been taken out to be challenged. one was a 3tc and the other 2 were chevy 350's