B18B Internals (Advice Needed )

Dsanchez16

I am going to stay N/A with my B18b motor (Integra Ls), however I want this baby to have some horsepower. I know I need to upgrade the valves,cams,pistons,etc....however I dont know the order in which I should do this or if there is something I specifically need to pay attention to to get the most hp out of this engine. Please recomend a plan of action, but here is mine so far..

1) Skunk 2 Cams Stage II
2) Skunk 2 Valve Springs
3) pistons??

What else should I upgrade to get the most power out of this engine??
And what brands will give me the most power?

Any Advice welcome

JOEY

start from the bottom up and get some Civic Type R pistons. then do your head work. some Skunk2 cams would be nice. Get some oversized swirl polished valves with valve springs and retainers. Honestly if you can, try to get a VTEC head because there is so much more potential. An all motor built LS motor in a heavy ass Integra wont really please you cause youll probably barely be able to keep up with mild modded GSR's. If you get the VTEC head with some Type R pistons and Intake,header , exhaust and Intake manifold youll fly! oh try to get a B16 tranny or a GSR tranny becuase the gears are way better for all motor than the long LS gears.an ACT street strip clutch is good too.

Dsanchez16

thx 4 advice

thanks for the advice, but I want this engine to last as long as possible, and I have read that a Ls/Vtec can really shorten the engine life, but I might want to do it anyways....what's the price range on a ls-vtec header?

Baldy201

LS-Vtec headers are the same as any header. You would buy it for your car cause the bolt patens are the same on all the Bseries heads. It all depends on the length of the header. Also when done right LS-Vtec can last for a long time, you cant rev it as high as a GSR or ITR cause of the rod/stroke ratio. There will be too much side load on the piston and will score your cylinder walls.
LS motors can hang with GSRs. My LS with Crower 403 cams, I/H/C/E, FPR, put down 150 hp to the wheels. that is about 170 to the crank which is the same as a GSR, But I have better low and mid range torque than a GSR so I can most likely beat him in a 1/4 mile race if all other things are equal (ie. driver, conditions, tires, ect.) If you build the bottom end up and do some head work you can be around 200 hp to the wheels, with the right package.

Baldy201

If it was my choice I would not to LS-Vtec. There are too many things that can go wrong and pluging oil holes and making new ones doesnt sound to good to me. I would build some internals, but that is just me, and that is also what I am doing at the current time. :D

hyper98gsr

with the mmoney you would spend on an lsvtec, you can make a screamin ls. you can even turbo and if done right, it will be as durable as any gsr or ls

JOEY

hyper98gsr said:
you can make a screamin ls. you can even turbo and if done right, it will be as durable as any gsr or ls
he stated in his first post that he wants to stay all motor. If you want to be fast then going turbo would be the way to go instead of building that LS motor for all motor.

Dsanchez16

Hell no, No turbo.....i need this engine to last man.....I wanna be drivin this car even when i buy my type-r :)

hyper98gsr

Dsanchez16 said:
Hell no, No turbo.....i need this engine to last man.....I wanna be drivin this car even when i buy my type-r :)
you keep saying that but you are asking about lsvtec.?. a turbo'd ls with minimal boost will outlast an lsvtec. hell, a stock ls with a 100 shot(only when racing) will outlast an lsvtec.

if you are REALLY worried about the life of the motor, dont mod it. or buy a gsr swap. because if you want to make power, to compete, out of an ls you are gonna shorten the life span. integras arent really that light to begin with. you are gonna need way more than just bolt ons in an ls just to keep up with the "tuner traffic."

im sorry if this seems off topic but: when i had my gsr integra, i had ALL my bolt-ons done. i mean all. i had just threw some stage 2 cams in my motor. i went to the track and got my a*s beat by a civic hb(eg) with my same motor. stock!! i was outraged(understatement). how?!? i had done so much. but i did wrong from the beginning. because i never asked myself that 1st question every tuner should ask:"what do i really want to do?" do i want to have a nice looking car that was just pretty fast and lasted long or do i want to own the streets? i had a blk gsr(integras to me are one of the best looking cars ever) it was great looking, but then i started modding it. and everytime i got beat i wanted more power. so i kept buying more mods. eventually i picked up a dx hb and got my same motor swapped over, and im terrorizing folks. now i realize underneath i wanted to be fast and thats all that mattered.
ultimately what i am saying is ask yourself that question. if you are comfortable with having a good looking, durable car with mediocre power, than its all good. just dont get the race fever because you're gonna loose alot.

again sorry for going off topic in your thread.

Dsanchez16

Well my goals with this car are pretty much as follows:

1) Be able to dust a gsr with an ls (my car)
2) Have the car last at least another 3 years
3) Have the engine last at least another three years
4) After 3 years i might go turbo, might not, but this car is right now my "beater" but I dont want to beat it..I want to keep this car in good shape, and if that means not racing on the track, so be it. However as i stated in number one, I want to at least be able to beat a stock GSR by the time that I am done with this car.

hyper98gsr

Dsanchez16 said:
Well my goals with this car are pretty much as follows:

1) Be able to dust a gsr with an ls (my car)
2) Have the car last at least another 3 years
3) Have the engine last at least another three years
4) After 3 years i might go turbo, might not, but this car is right now my "beater" but I dont want to beat it..I want to keep this car in good shape, and if that means not racing on the track, so be it. However as i stated in number one, I want to at least be able to beat a stock GSR by the time that I am done with this car.
you can do all that with i/h/e and a 55 shot nos easy.

lsvtec-2.0

hey i noticed u was thinking about building a ls

i just had all the interanls done on my i got the eagle stroker kit.

ler me tell u something dont trust most people out there with bad info on lsvtec most of them are just gsr haters!!

and prob never even owned one.

the lsvtec is great but there are drawbacks to it but it is very fixable.

my lsvtec lasted me from 75k to 150k then my cousin spun a bearing cause he overrevved it.

here is how to fix the problems

if u wish to have a very reliable lsvtec.

first the oil and water pumps suck badly on the ls

i replaced mine with type r ones

that is a big thing especially the oil pump that is very important one since the most people have the stock ls one and that pump is not made to move as much oil as a type r one. especially that vtec is activated with oil pressure and the solenoid.

the next thing and this is more important than anything is the block girdle.

the gsr and type r ones will work but if you are going to do that u will need a gsr or type r oil pan windage tray and pickup.

the lsvtec stock should not be revved past 7500!!! trust me.

the gsr and type r have block girdle wich reinforces the main caps and will allow you to rev up higer and will prevent u from having a spun bearing.

one key secret as to why the gsr and type r can rev up much higher.

if u on a budged i suggest u use the used or new oem parts.

if you want reliability and still have a fast lsvtec u need those parts.

there is also a manufacturer callled z10 motorsports or www.z10motorsports.com

i suggest u check it out.

they sell these lsvtec kits with all the items i metionted above except the ones they sell are much more better and will do better for u if you have the money available.

i talked to them already and they told me they sell a kit
for 850

and that includes the aluminum 5qt oil pan

the block girdle windage and pickup and all the needed hardware.

i really reccommend this kit it is great.

i would also reccommed u to go with crt pistons and cams.

they will make plenty of power. more than a grs and type r.

my setup b4 the interanl upgrades was still alot faster than any gsr i ever raced.

and it actually had tourqe unlike the gsr.

there is no comparison lsvtec is alot better in the end.

as long as you take care of what i have told u your lsvtec should last along time.

mine lasted 75k id say that was pretty good. besides mine blew up cause of sheer stupidity not reliablity.

check out this website it has all these dyno charts on lsvtec seutps and how much power they really make.

and they have various ones with different stuff in them.

the web site is www.importreview.com

click on the dyno charrts link on the left side and u will c how much they make.

some of those are 11 sec cars with only 230 hp!!!

if you have any questions email me at waruioni@hotmail.com

i will try to find an link to this real good webiste that will explain the lsvtec better than me. i will post it asap.