B18b1 Timing belt slop

Volklord

Non V-Tec B18b1
I took a video of my timing belt slop, witch in my opinion it doesn't seem normal, I just had the timing belt done like 4 months ago. See for your self, any suggestions on how to eliminate this ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96LSteg

Jemel
did you do the T belt yourself? Or did a shop do it?

Are you sure the tension is correct? if you have a hanes manual or a service manual you can check deflection yourself. If im not mistaken 1" of deflection is within spec. Dont quote me on that though lol

Muckman

Not a M0derator
1 inch of slop is normal. its the main reason why timing belts are inherintely sh!ty and why all manufacturers have moved to timing chains.

If youd like to retension the belt you can go through the steps for the tensioner.

Volklord

Non V-Tec B18b1
Thanks for the replies, I had my master tech do it and when I went to check the car after he was done he tension seemed normal.

It's when it's running that bothers me, maybe I'm just OCD bc the timing cover is off and I see it every time lmao. Drives me nuts, I'm gonna double check the tension with the manual, thanks again !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cborden

Jesus is THE way
dude i felt the same way when I did my t belt as well it just seemed to flop around too much so I tore it back down and pulled it tighter. seemed better but still wiggles more than i feel comfortable with but i watched it for months and it starts fine and runs good and gets up. still good as we speak, thats just how they work. I know it can be nerve racking though