B18C1 Loud Strange Noise.. Need a Valve Adjustment?

bvans

DC5-ED9
it really does sound like its coming from the valve cover. i put my by the driver's side tire and I heard it too
i did some research on failing water pumps and people said it sounds like the scraping/metal noise comes from the valve cover sometimes, and as the engine warms up the noise becomes quieter- exactly what i have
if the water pump doesn't fix it i'm gonna be pissed, i already dumped brand new oil in there.. ya, i'm dumb.
i might have some troubles putting the timing belt on, im kinda mixed up on that but i'll figure it out
i've been following this - http://www.team-integra.net/forum/blogs/vitamin_d/288-timing-belt-water-pump-replacement-g3-teg.html

here she is anticipating her next (healthy) drive

bvans

DC5-ED9
another thing, before i started pulling everything apart i noticed the timing belt had a lot of slack, kinda freaked me out
bout to go down to the garage n finish this up..

9integra9

how is your ac working ?? mine throw the ac belt and after i took it off it was making almost the same noise if the noise is what im thinking it is its hard to tll from the video. mine is a pully is loose and rattling around you might want to check that as well

bvans

DC5-ED9
i tore out all of the AC components, cant answer your question sorry bro

i just bought a new timing belt tensioner as well, im gonna replace everything i can while im in this..

i cant work on my car anymore today, just broke my socket extension n i have class before i go to work.. fml.

bvans

DC5-ED9
guys im gettin more and more confused about the whole top dead center thing.. so the cam gears must be pointing up, and the one painted slit on the crank pulley must be aligned with that arrow.
in my case, no arrows, the painted slits on the cam gears must be pointing up (diff cam gears)

when you remove the bolt from the crank pulley, its most likely going to move.. does the woodruff key point into the direction of top dead center? once i pull the pulley off, how do i know whats top dead center if its been takin off..

im a damn noob, i know.
and if the cam gears are off, by one tooth or more, it'll run like shit? how would i know if its the intake or exhaust cam thats wrong or if the crank pulley is not at tdc?
fml.. im just confused.

bvans

DC5-ED9
when the crank pulley is at tdc, the cam gear "arrows" are pointing up, however not.. straight up.. both of them point to the left a tiny bit.. do i try mimic that when i put the timing belt back on?
edit - and what the heck are the three painted dots on my cam gears for? o_0

lokibear

What brand of crank pulleys are those? And it looks like you've had a tune done seeing how your cam gears looks like they have been advanced.

tork_sd89

Baywatch
I hope u get ur ride fixed... my friends was making the same noise. Sounded like it was coming from the head near the cam gears. Never figured out what was wrong. He drove on it and eventually the sound got louder. He lost power on the freeway, cranked it back up to get home and it blew on the way there. Never turned on again.

bvans

DC5-ED9
just noticed you, tork_sd89 are in SD and lokibear youre in oceanside? im in carlsbad, if either of you know how to do this timing belt ill get u your favorite brew haha

9integra9

if you have the stock cams there is a small hole on each one that should be top dead center you just put a small pin in there to hold it still and that would be top dead center thats how my friend (who is a mechanic and who has been working on integras for about 10 years) did mine. he just took the belt off put the pins in and then put the belt back on

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
Once you remove the pulley, there is a mark on the cam gear itself for tdc that will line up with a mark on your block. As for the gears, there should be 3 marks on the outside of the gear that are each 90* from each other. You are not looking for the white mark on the blue spoke. The middle mark should be straight up, the side marks should all line up together. Make sense? Clear as mud?

lokibear

It's hard to see but it looks like that cams are tdc. There should be a mark lined straight up on the gears and then two more on either side of the top one about 90 deg as stated above. To double check get a straight edge ruler and make sure all four marks line up horizontally. I haven't personally don't the timing yet. But I am about to and have been doing tons of research. I know a guy where I work in encenitas that is extreme Honda guru and he could help you out for sure. And he will probably make you do a valve adjustment.