B18C1 Loud Strange Noise.. Need a Valve Adjustment?

k20wagon

Sounds like a spun rod bearing, for the little metal ring have no idea what that could be, honestly can even think of something that shape in it anywhere.

Now honestly you won't be able to tell about the rod bearings unless you take the rods out. Now I have seen a lot of times the older honda motors are notorious for have a spun rod bearing on cylinder 3 rod. I have changed 2 that both where spun in cylinder 3. What I would do is just take the caps off the connecting rods and check them that way.

bvans

DC5-ED9
Sounds like a spun rod bearing, for the little metal ring have no idea what that could be, honestly can even think of something that shape in it anywhere.

Now honestly you won't be able to tell about the rod bearings unless you take the rods out. Now I have seen a lot of times the older honda motors are notorious for have a spun rod bearing on cylinder 3 rod. I have changed 2 that both where spun in cylinder 3. What I would do is just take the caps off the connecting rods and check them that way.
thought you could tell by trying to rock them side to side? fml... well im supposed to be towing it to a shop tomorrow... damn. maybe I'll stay up tonight and remove the headers and oil pan again just to make sure..

so I would be checking #3, is this picture correct?

k20wagon

I think on some occasions you can especially if the bearings are worn thin as a piece of paper. And ya it should be the one in the pic you posted up. Usually when you spin a bearing it usually really scufs up the crank rod journal but that can be fixed.

bvans

DC5-ED9
I think on some occasions you can especially if the bearings are worn thin as a piece of paper. And ya it should be the one in the pic you posted up. Usually when you spin a bearing it usually really scufs up the crank rod journal but that can be fixed.
alright i'll go ahead and check each rod bearing, not only the third cylinder... if im gonna open the damn thing up again i might as well be thorough haha

so if its thrown it'll be scuffed with marks, ya? i only have a 1/2 inch torque wrench so is it okay to tighten the bolts back down by just guessing?

k20wagon

alright i'll go ahead and check each rod bearing, not only the third cylinder... if im gonna open the damn thing up again i might as well be thorough haha

so if its thrown it'll be scuffed with marks, ya? i only have a 1/2 inch torque wrench so is it okay to tighten the bolts back down by just guessing?
Ya the crank will be scuffed like scratches and no never just guess cause you don't wanna torque them down to tight or to loose, just get a 1/2 to 3/8 drive adapter. The connecting rod cap bolts torque specs are 24 ft lbs.

bvans

DC5-ED9
just found a 1/2 inch to 3/8 adapter here at work. thanks for the info, i'll post an update later.. much later tonight with the condition of the bearings.

bvans

DC5-ED9
guys im stuck here.

cant get these damn bolts loose (the circled ones) i can use an impact on them though.
What will I torque them back to?

and when checking the rod bearings, must the piston be all the way down for the bearing your pulling?

not sure if I have to turn the engine over or not..

k20wagon

Looks like the baffle plate is bolted to the main bearing caps. The main bearing caps need to be torqued starting to 25 ft lbs then tightened to 58 ft lbs.

And ya those bolts are a pain to get out especially since they are torqued down to that specs, use the impact gun but be careful use it slowly. And ya each connecting rod should be at the bottom when taking the caps off it will be much easier.

bvans

DC5-ED9
fml! haha alright man thanks for dealin with all my questions, i'm new with taking part engines and fixing cars n crap..
im going to continue this tomorrow, i'll take my car to the shop if after i get all this done, the bearings are fine. this is one of those situations where you hope its the problem cuz you're sick of looking, but you hope its not cuz its gonna empty your wallet..

thanks to everyone!... though im not done haha i appreciate everything though

k20wagon

No problem, I remember all the torque specs and everything cause I am actually rebuilding my b18b1, there is a build thread on here. I have torque specs and everything on it

bvans

DC5-ED9
guys, tried getting those bolts lose with an impact wrench this morning and...

had to stop working on it, gettin sick of all this crap.. i just put it all back together i'm towin it to a shop later

bvans

DC5-ED9
i was trying to loosen the bolts i circled in the picture in my previous post

pain in my...

im just gonna take it to the shop... hopefully im not broke when this is done with ha