best mods for integ.

ackavong

i was wondering what YOU guys would be the best mods for a 96 gsr. Intake? Headers? Exhaust? And so on from there... thanks you guys..

MoJoJoJo

Banned
Intake, Exhaust, Headers, Are pretty much just basic mods that every does. after that you move on to cams, intake manifolds, etc... there is plenty. depends on if you are going all natural or boost.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Yeah, decide now if your car is going to be NA or FI.
If NA, where do you want your powerband to be?
If FI, how high do you want to boost?
Tell us that much and we'll be able to help you more.

Autotech510

i suggest if you going for the whole exhaust upgrade, i'd say you go for the comptech system. i have header, exhaust piping and muffler. the whole 9 , and it sound beautiful. performance wise? it increases hp dramatically, and when the vtech kick in at 5.5rpm with an intake system (aem cold air) the sound combined with the power is a dream. gotta love that obd 1 95 and below. as for 96 and above. they'll wish they was older.

MoJoJoJo

Banned
well....not saying your setup isnt good...its just, there's no really a way of telling if that performs aswell on his car. and when u say it increases your HP dramaticly...well what you are feeling might be better throttle response. cuz you wont really know how much HP it gave you, unless you dyno it before and after. and upgrading your header and catback, wont really dramaticly increase your hp, i doubt it will even go over 10HP of gain, maybe in less.

and i'm not sure if V Tec kicks in at 5.5rpm, i remember we had a thread about this...i think it was around 4800rpm? i dunno correct me if i'm wrong.

whatever setup your getting, you have to do all your hw and make a plan of what you gonna get first, next, etc... dont wanan just get watever and slap it on. just cuz there alot of all motor parts other there, doesnt mean all of them will work fine together. check some stuff out, see how it works with your other parts.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
VTEC activates at 4400 rpm's. You can't hear it happen on a stock GSR.
The GSR's 2 stage intake manifold opens up its secondary runners at 5800 rpm's. This you can hear even on a stock GSR. This is what newbs hear a GSR do and think its VTEC activating. I was once a newb and thought the same thing.

MoJoJoJo said:
whatever setup your getting, you have to do all your hw and make a plan of what you gonna get first, next, etc... dont wanan just get watever and slap it on. just cuz there alot of all motor parts other there, doesnt mean all of them will work fine together. check some stuff out, see how it works with your other parts.
Exacamundo!
That's why its important to decide where you want your powerband to be. You need all the parts working together towards the same goal. Not one part that works at its peak ability at one part of the rpm range and another that works well in a different area, they'll just cancel each other out and you be right back where you started.

EclecticTeg21

just make sure when you do your exhaust system, to make it all the same size piping. like if your headers are 2.25, make your cat. converter the same, as well as your catback piping. (not saying 2.25 is the ideal diameter, just an example).

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
That's right, don't get a header with a 2.5 inch collector, then attatch it to a 2.25 inch cat, then to a 2.38 inch exhaust-very bad for efficient exhaust flow. You want them all the same OR you can have the diameters increase as you go towards the back.

H=2.25/C=2.25/E=2.25 = GOOD.
H=2.25/C=stock/E=2.38 = BAD.
H=2.25/C=2.25/E=2.38 = GOOD.

Last edited: