Brake Upgrade -- Need Your Opinion and Why

g3teg97

Super Moderator
Ok guys...I'm having some difficulties choosing my brake upgrade I want to do. I will be tracking the car (Expo Eight) and some autoxing. I think my stock brakes are ok...for stock. But I want more stopping power. Money isn't that big of an issue because with certain things I will just save up for it and get it and then install it once I have all the parts. I do not want a BBK because I am not getting larger wheels to acomidate the braking upgrade. I want this to be a streetable setup with the idea of the weekend track warrior.

Here's some potential setups.

1. Closest to stock - Brembo blank rotors(or equivalent), Hawk street pads, Motul brake fluid (can't decide on that or either just reg. brake fluid.

2. ITR/Legend caliper, Brembo slotted rotors(or equivalent) & same pads, Goodridge SS lines

3. NSX calipers, Brembo slotted rotors(or equivalent) & same pads, Goodridge SS lines

4. Spoon calipers, Brembo slotted rotors(or equivalent) & same pads, Motul brake fluid, Goodridge SS lines

Opinions? Comments?

**Cliff notes:
- I want to upgrade brakes
- Choose between 1 through 4 and tell me why it would be good

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
I don't have much experience with factory upgraded calipers on teggy's like the Legen or NSX calipers. As for the rotors, that depends on your pads. I like Hawk pads but they have many street compounds. Ceramic compounds are gonna require a slotted rotor to prevent glazing. Motul fluids and SS brake lines are a must IMO if you plan on racing. That fluid boils and your brake pedal hits the ground it is probably not gonna be a fun day. The price of those 2 things are definitely worth what the consequences cound be.

My friend had this setup on his DC5 type S and it was fade free with good stopping distances, even from high speeds.

Motul RBF fluid, SS lines, Hawk Ceramic street pads, and slotted OE size rotors it was pretty effective package.

He also had Falken Azenis RT615 which really helps out as well

I put Hawk HPS and Motul fluid in my teg and it felt ALOT better. Didn't really ever try to push them to fade though

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
i'd probably upgrade to wilwood calipers since its cheaper than spoons. better than the stock single piston right? the nsx and legend calipers... i'm iffy, probably requires some custom brackets or what not.

so far i'm not too satisfied with my ebc front rotors or the ebc green stuff. lots of dust... noise when driving... and now braking shakes like KRAZY after 60 mph. gotta get them resurfaced and see if it solves the problem... if not, back to oem rotors + pads.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
I'm sure the shaking is because the rotors are warped.

Hint: don't use the wash you car after driving it or atleast don't spray the rims with cold water.

That cured my problems. I got tired of warping rotors. The pay and spray will do it everytime. Watch out for deep puddle with hot rotors too :thumbs up

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
I'm sure the shaking is because the rotors are warped.

Hint: don't use the wash you car after driving it or atleast don't spray the rims with cold water.

That cured my problems. I got tired of warping rotors. The pay and spray will do it everytime. Watch out for deep puddle with hot rotors too :thumbs up
i totally did not know that. i think i've done that a couple times... wash my car and see steam from the rotors. so are the rotors bad? or can i resurface them.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
You can usually just pull them off and take them to an auto parts store and they will resurface them. It doesn't take much to eliminate the shake. I resurfaced my stock GSX rotors probably 3 different times and there will still enough metal left on the rotors. They only shave a few thousands off. It is worth a try. I just pulled mine off and take the to Autozone or something. I think they charged like $8-$10 per rotor. I never did the rears though, they were always fine. It was just the fronts on my car everytime

Sorry for the jack g3teg97. I'm done :thumbs up

PogKai

B20VTEC
ZOMG! u goin to Expo 8? damn, I'm so jealous lol. Anyways I have the NSX brake setup.. awesome braking and fits 15" wheels.

Stock - nah

Legend/ITR - this should be a great upgrade. Get the Legend calipers for it's dual pistons.

NSX - Buy it if you can find it, better than Legend cause it has cooling veins and stuff.

Spoon - Too expensive, but proven.

also look for other brand of SS lines, don't be focused on one brand.
and look for cobalt pads.

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
thanks for the tip :thumbup:

i was freaking out cause i thought i had to throw away the rotors i jus bought a couple months back. :p

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
I'm not sure how thick those are but the ones on my car were thick enough to do it a few times. It also would shake like crazy hauling down from 70. They should be fine for atleast 1 or 2 resurfaces. It would take a whole lot of warpedness [sic] to be trashed

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
I plan on getting wilwoods, they fit rims as small as 14s and have four piston calipers.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
1) Hawk HPS brake pads
2) Powerslot slotted rotors
3) Goodridge brake lines
4) Motul brake fluid

AMR Engineering

Yah, the owner of Fastbrakes is great. I was thinking in the future of getting his rear brake upgrade kit for my car. Right now I am running the AEM Rear Big Brake upgrade in Hyperblack to match my Wilwoods up front. It's been a great combination for me, but I would like to upgrade the stock rear caliper someday. He makes a rear big brake upgrade in the back that uses a NSX caliper. He's got some sweet stuff, and can basically make anything you need since they machine a lot of the parts themselves other than the calipers which they get from Wilwood.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Keep in mind that brake balancing is everything. That's why alot of people do a big front brake upgrade and it feels alot better but it really isn't. It is a little better but you usually end up with too much front brake bias.

Balance is the reason I use Porterfield R4-E rear pads

Stoptech is also really good. Check them out. They R&D their ass off!

Last edited: