Braked Hard Today

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
First I was on highway and my friend told me my hood was open so I stopped on side to check. I burned out just to be 'cool' haha just kidding, anyway I burned out up till 3rd and then I got up to about 90 after a few miles and then I had to stop REALLLLL fast and after that my car was shifting to the right when I braked up until I got ot destination, there was also a REALLY bad smell gettin into the car as if I burned my clutch but I know it wasn't the clutch

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
Well I know the rotors are slightly warped becaue when I stop slightly hard at about 90 or so it will shake pretty good in the wheel, but only at high speeds and when I have to brake pretty hard.

I don't think I put a flat spot in tire because it doesn't shake when I am movin.

The whole problem after the fact was that the car was just totaly going to the right when I braked after the whole incident as if my right caliper had gone out. Good thing is it stopped doing it after I left the car show that I was going to, and now its all good. I just worried if it might be a issue that will come back and cause and accident haa

autofashionbobb

your piston on your caliper probably got stuck momentarily causing the pull to one side and might have cooled off after your brakes cooled down then went back into the correct spot

sexystover

your piston on your caliper probably got stuck momentarily causing the pull to one side and might have cooled off after your brakes cooled down then went back into the correct spot
im going to agree with this. sounds like a caliper just locked up temporarily

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
alright just getting feedback, I just don't get what the smell was, do you think that smell was the brake caliper locking up and me smelling aspestis or w/e it is from the brakes being on the rotor while moving?

Well I know the rotors are slightly warped becaue when I stop slightly hard at about 90 or so it will shake pretty good in the wheel, but only at high speeds and when I have to brake pretty hard.
I don't think I put a flat spot in tire because it doesn't shake when I am movin.

The whole problem after the fact was that the car was just totaly going to the right when I braked after the whole incident as if my right caliper had gone out. Good thing is it stopped doing it after I left the car show that I was going to, and now its all good. I just worried if it might be a issue that will come back and cause and accident haa
Drive slower and don't follow so close and you can be easier on your brakes, and the rest of the car.

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
I had to stop abrubtly because a deer ran in front of my car... All I was asking is if the car was going to have a locked caliper again in teh future

I had to stop abrubtly because a deer ran in front of my car... All I was asking is if the car was going to have a locked caliper again in teh future
It wouldn't be a bad idea to rebuild the calipers in the near future, that way you know the problem won't be an issue anymore.

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
Well I am just making sure the car isn't unsafe because I have to sell it before I move to colorado =/

DumaDa9

the car isnt unsafe, sounds like the driver is though.

going 90mph and getting on the brakes hard is going to be bad no matter what, and having warped rotors is already dangerous in itself

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
well I already have a brake set ready to go on the car all around, I just wanna put them on right when I sell so its a better buy. I don't care if I am unsafe i don't go over 70 with anyone else in the car, and I don't go over 80 with anyone close to me on the highway, and its usually at late late night =/

heykosal

Angkorian
Drive slower and don't follow so close and you can be easier on your brakes, and the rest of the car.
It wouldn't be a bad idea to rebuild the calipers in the near future, that way you know the problem won't be an issue anymore.
Agreed. And if it happened once what makes you think it wouldn't happen again?

And what you were smelling had to either be brake or clutch. If you didn't peel out like a jackass it would be brake..but since you did we don't know because we didn't smell it. They almost smell the same..friction material.

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
Its not that fact that I care about the smell because I know for a fact it couldn' of been the clutch because I am confident in how I clutch my car, I know it wasn't the tires because it lasted for a good 3 miles, so it had to be the brakes. I am not asking for criticism, I am asking if the car is going to not brake one time and I will not be able to stop. All I am asking, I am going to pop on new rotors and brakes before the car gets sold, but I am holding off because I want the guy to have it brand brand new so he wil lbe more influenced to buy it.

cripemaster

any tips to unstick a caliper piston? cause i think thats what's wrong on my car cause my abs won't shut the hell up. it's driving me crazy. it sounds like a bird whistling or cooing or some shit from under my hood. any help would be great. thanks.