burning oil?

pudge818

BIG "O"
I have a 95 ls wit 180k miles. I just changed the oil 1 month ago, and 2 days ago my oil light started flashing. So I added 3 quarts of oil and today its flashing again. I just turned my car on and it threw a big cloud of white smoke out though the exhaust pipe????

mirrorimg

Uhhhh how long did you drive it with the oil light on? That is some severe oil deprivation that will cause that light to come on.

You may have damaged oil contol rings because of it.

sexystover

best way to check is to do a cylinder leakdown test, do it dry on all cylinders, and then add a cap of oil to each cylinder and try again, record ur results, if the results change dramaticly after adding the cap of oil its cylinder rings and if the results dont change then its the headgasket or valve seals

mirrorimg

best way to check is to do a cylinder leakdown test, do it dry on all cylinders, and then add a cap of oil to each cylinder and try again, record ur results, if the results change dramaticly after adding the cap of oil its cylinder rings and if the results dont change then its the headgasket or valve seals
That is a method of checking compression.

For a leakdown test, you need see how much leakdown you have (how much air is escaping) and where its coming out of (listening to oil passages, out of the intake, out of the exhaust, bubbles in the radiator). If you hear whooshing through the oil passages, its the oil control rings.

CMTburtondriver

Dan from Chicago
I have a 99 LS w 200K that burns when I push it on the highway. rings need replacing? Its not bad, like less than a quart when driving 3- 5 hours straight.

sexystover

That is a method of checking compression.

For a leakdown test, you need see how much leakdown you have (how much air is escaping) and where its coming out of (listening to oil passages, out of the intake, out of the exhaust, bubbles in the radiator). If you hear whooshing through the oil passages, its the oil control rings.
that is a method of dong a leakdown test, i undertsnad u can also add oil during a compression check but adding oil during a leakdown test can also help pinpoint the area where the air is leaking

Last edited:

honda kid

tru try both the leak down test n the compression test on each cylinder n c if your losein compression