Buying a RSX Type-S

RedBullTEG

So my dc2 broke down and is far too expensive to repair. now I'm seriously looking into any 2003-2006 RSX type s. I really want to get a type s because of the leather interior, performance, 6 speed and everything about it. The type-s is what i want to drive. I live in upstate NY so there are many around but i hate winter. It is just not good for cars. an 06 would b great because its only 4 years old. White, silver or black. White looks DAMN SEXY.

Anything i should know about buying a RSX or RSX type-S? I've heard about the transmission problem and done research. 02, 03 vs 04, 05, 06. Are the 2006's much different. I know that its still an integra but im in love with tegs. The RSX is my car and i will get one.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=46733010&listingRecNum=0&criteria=sf1Dir%3DDESC%26alMdId%3D21784%26mkId%3D20001%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D21784%26rd%3D50%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId%26zc%3D14534%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26alMkId%3D20001%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national

This one is my dream carrr. i would love it for years and take excellent car of her. pretty expensive but it has low miles. brand new pretty much.

JGvtec

Anything i should know about buying a RSX or RSX type-S? I've heard about the transmission problem and done research. 02, 03 vs 04, 05, 06. Are the 2006's much different. I know that its still an integra but im in love with tegs. The RSX is my car and i will get one.
Well for one i origonally wanted a teg then my dad said to look towards the Acura Rsx. As i looked into it i heard they had problems with the sycros and getting into gears. Thats the reason why im back looking for a teg. Also the thing with Vtec. I talked with my brother about getting a 2002 acura rsx. You have to watch who you buy it from. When people get into Vtec a lot. the oil gets burned. Need to watch on those i hear too.

Last edited:

DC_Five_Earl

So my dc2 broke down and is far too expensive to repair. now I'm seriously looking into any 2003-2006 RSX type s. I really want to get a type s because of the leather interior, performance, 6 speed and everything about it. The type-s is what i want to drive. I live in upstate NY so there are many around but i hate winter. It is just not good for cars. an 06 would b great because its only 4 years old. White, silver or black. White looks DAMN SEXY.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=46733010&listingRecNum=0&criteria=sf1Dir%3DDESC%26alMdId%3D21784%26mkId%3D20001%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D21784%26rd%3D50%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId%26zc%3D14534%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26alMkId%3D20001%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national

This one is my dream carrr. i would love it for years and take excellent car of her. pretty expensive but it has low miles. brand new pretty much.
Good luck getting one dude. Almost all dc5's have that problem. Mine is a 06 type S and it had the notorious 3rd gear pop out and 2nd gear grind.

RedBullTEG

Well for one i origonally wanted a teg then my dad said to look towards the Acura Rsx. As i looked into it i heard they had problems with the sycros and getting into gears. Thats the reason why im back looking for a teg. Also the thing with Vtec. I talked with my brother about getting a 2002 acura rsx. You have to watch who you buy it from. When people get into Vtec a lot. the oil gets burned. Need to watch on those i hear too.
Thanks man. i wish the transmissions were flawless. that would make this so much easier. Another thing im worried about is high miles. Now I had a 1995 Acura integra LS. it was my first car ever and drove fine with 197,000 miles. the engine never had any problems. my ball joints are totally shot and one side broke. axle, tie rods and suspension went bad. Engine is still fine but i have to sell or part her out. what im saying tho is around 90-100,000 miles the timing belts, clutch and other stuff might need replacement or service. I don't wanna buy a car that has a clutch that doesn't have much life left. If its got a brand new clutch with over 100k then im more comfortable with a purchase. soo idk, i just want some expert advice from RSX owners on clubintegra. seems like you guys know alot

DC_Five_Earl

Thanks man. i wish the transmissions were flawless. that would make this so much easier. Another thing im worried about is high miles. Now I had a 1995 Acura integra LS. it was my first car ever and drove fine with 197,000 miles. the engine never had any problems. my ball joints are totally shot and one side broke. axle, tie rods and suspension went bad. Engine is still fine but i have to sell or part her out. what im saying tho is around 90-100,000 miles the timing belts, clutch and other stuff might need replacement or service. I don't wanna buy a car that has a clutch that doesn't have much life left. If its got a brand new clutch with over 100k then im more comfortable with a purchase. soo idk, i just want some expert advice from RSX owners on clubintegra. seems like you guys know alot
:werd: wish they never started half assing shit.

kleenkreativ

I LOVE my '04 RSX (it's white and, in my opinion, the sexiest color for it.)
That said, I have noticed small discrepancies with shifting, but nothing major yet.
I lucked out and mine was taken really good care of (and obviously was driven carefully)
even though it had 117k on it when I bought it.
I wish mine were a Type-S...I would love the extra horsepower and 6th gear. I'm fine without the leather, though...I'm not really a fan of leather seats. The "Type S" looks really cool on the truck emblem, too..lol.

I also went from a '95 Integra LS (although, mine was an auto tranny.)
I must say it was a VERY good upgrade (of course, my 'Teg was beat to shit! The front end was totally shot, but engine-wise, it was still doing pretty good...just some oil burning and leakage on the block.)

I love everything about my RSX...it's by far, my favorite car yet (well, aside from my '68 Cougar in high school.)

kleenkreativ

Oh, also...mine is sitting at over 118k now and aside from regular oil changes, etc., the only thing that's been replaced (by me, at least), is the battery. I believe it needs a new O2 sensor, though.
I know the previous owner had more expensive brake pads put on, but that was when the car was practically brand new, so I think it was a personal preference thing.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
even though it had 117k on it when I bought it.
Oh, also...mine is sitting at over 118k now and aside from regular oil changes, etc., the only thing that's been replaced (by me, at least), is the battery. I believe it needs a new O2 sensor, though.
So you have had it for just over 1,000 miles and already had to replace the battery and it needs an o2 sensor? That sucks.

kleenkreativ

So you have had it for just over 1,000 miles and already had to replace the battery and it needs an o2 sensor? That sucks.
Yeah, but I'm sure they were already existing conditions and either weren't known or the dealership just ignored the check engine light or pretended it wasn't coming on, because I never saw the light while test driving it.
It was seldom at first, but seems to be on for good now. Argh...

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
the dealership just ignored the check engine light or pretended it wasn't coming on, because I never saw the light while test driving it.
They will do this kind of thing on purpose. They reset the ECU and stick it straight on the lot instead of investing money into it. That way it is perfectly fine when you test drive it. Then after you buy it and put 1 or 2 hundred miles on it, it comes back.

kleenkreativ

They will do this kind of thing on purpose. They reset the ECU and stick it straight on the lot instead of investing money into it. That way it is perfectly fine when you test drive it. Then after you buy it and put 1 or 2 hundred miles on it, it comes back.
Precisely. Regardless of how nice the salesmen were to me, they're all just fucking weasels.
Oh, well. I'm still madly in love with the car and plan on replacing the O2 sensor ASAP.
I have more peace of mind with the new battery, anyhow, 'cause I got the Duralast Gold and it has an 8 year warranty on it.

RedBullTEG

So how bad is the grinding in 2nd and or 3rd gear? i mean if it does it very often then could the tranny start to go bad or 2nd gear grind until something bad happens??? just wondering. it sounds annoying and not fun to hear a gear grind. i know

soysauce

I had an 02 type s that didn't have any transmission issues at all. Then I bought a 05 type s and it had the notorious 2nd gear grind. It is hard to explain, it is still drivable but you kind of learn how to not make it grind. For me I had to hold it into 2nd other wise it would pop out and grind, but I got used to it. It will just be harder for you to sell it if you decide to sell.