Cams and pistons =\ Need help asap

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I think my comp is 11.8:1 though, maybe a better headgasket like buddy club or hondata will make the difference?

My builder told my parts guy to tell me that my cam's were "too big" and that Pro 1's were enough and no one else has pro 2's.

I'm supposed to see my builder later today to discuss it.
I'm thinking even run it just cause no one else has em! lol
11.8:1 is enough compression but I really don't think you'll gain that much more power with the Pro 2s. If you want I'll talk to Don out at DFE and get his opinion I have to get ahold of him today anyways to see if my head is done yet. Oh yea, about your head, if your not going to do some extensive head work I think you would be better of with the pro 1s. Also about your headgasket, stay with oem, you don't need one of the fancy headgaskets, 3 layer oem works the best and you should have the least problems with it.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Do you plan on changing your rev limter, if so how high.

DarkAngelGSR

*JDM Approved*
Yeah, not too sure on the excatly limit yet. I was thinkin low 9k?
I was gonna let me and my tuner deal with that when I get it tuned.
Running full Skunk2 PRO-Valvetrain. w/ ITR valves

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Right what i'm getting at is that if you run the pro 2 your moving your powerband up so if your going to increase your rev limit then ok but keep in mind reving above 9k is very very hard on your bottom end, and if not done precisely correct making sure everything is balanced you will have problems, so if you were going to keep your revs closer to stock I would say stick with the pro 1 because then you'll have the power where you need it. Also I was looking at those cams and its not really the duration that is going to hurt its the valve lift. For instance my duration on my BC 4s are 306in 302ex but my valve lift is only 12.3in 11.8ex. Thats alot but it's acutally less than the pro 1. You see what i'm saying? These cams are made for very extensive head work to flow lots and lots of air, if you don't have that then your not going to get the power you should out of them, I would almost say you would have better luck with there tuner stage 2. I'll look into it more but for now I wouldn't make any quick decisions.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
It will be dictated on the dyno where the rev limit should be....when you stop making power. Touching 9K or higher won't be good for your crank in the long term, or your rocker arms. I seriously doubt your tuner will approve of a rev limit in that neighborhood.

DarkAngelGSR

*JDM Approved*
Like I said, I have no idea, lol. I was just guessing.

So you're starting to see why I should go with Pro-1 Aussie?
I'm not trying to rush, but I have to due to school and work.

My DD- My jeep has broken caliper and MCC. =\
All my money is tangled up in the GSR.
I ordered the Pro-2's awhile ago and they're in but I haven't paid for them yet, I can send them back for Pro-1's but I needa do it quick if that'll be my new game plan.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
My rev limit is 8500, I stop making power just after 8200, which is usually where I shift anyway when I'm wringing it out. I just like to have the extra revs for when I "need" it, heh. I still have the stock GSR crank and stock GSR valves, but at least I have an ITR and Portflow dual valvespring setup. I know I should have an ITR crank in there revving that high, but you gotta do what you can with the money you have at the time, an ITR crank wasn't in the budget during my build. Neither was an LSD unfortunatley, lol.

And good point on the cams Aussie, you wanna make the power in the area of the rev range that works with the rest of the engine, all mods complementing each other. It's better to go with the more conservative cam as a default position....there are dyno's out there of engines making over 200whp with ITR cams. Cuz it's all about the package as a whole, everything working together.

DarkAngelGSR

*JDM Approved*
Gotcha, that makes better sense if I look @ it in that p.o.v.

Will an ITR crank just swap in my gsr block?
how much was urs tegsox

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
I said I don't have an ITR crank, but I should.
It will just drop in to the B18C1, but it may change the rod/stroke ratio vs. the GSR crank, not sure. So you may need to get different rods to use that crank and keep you present r/s ratio.