Car wont go into gear when the car is on, but will when it's off

Sammich

.... i have another situation revolving around my horrific never ending story of a blown trans..

Replaced:

Used transmission
Used Intermediate Shaft
New Competition Clutch Stage 1 Clutch Kit
New Competition Clutch LWFW
New OEM Clutch Cable
Valvoline SAE 30 Motor Oil (used in mind for MTF to run for 2k miles and drop then replace w/ Honda MTF)
New OE Style (GSP) Axles

Now that the replacement parts are covered...here's the scenario. The guy/friend i have working on it has informed me that when the car is off (also when the car was still on jackstands) the car shifted fine. but he went to shift while the car was on and the car was off jackstands, it wouldnt shift. He turned the car off, put it in reverse backed up and it wouldnt come out of reverse. He's said that he's adjusted the clutch cable, pretty much all the way tight, i believe and loose and it still acts the same way. Through some google search, i've found that some have said that it's a clutch related problem, one has said that the springs in the clutch disc have come out while another has mentioned the clutch disc actually being installed backwards.

Has anyone ran into this problem recently and come up w/ a solution? I'm trying to get some other ideas, if possible that coule be going on in this situation that could help him, help me get my beloved car back sooner than later.

Thanks in advance

BTW it is a DA/DB1 so it's a cable transmission, no slave/clutch master cylinders to bleed

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
I ran into this with my CRX - replaced the whole clutch/pressure plate/flywheel...turned out being a worn clutch cable that was over-stretched....

Since you replaced it with an OEM one - it doesn't make sense that you would have to adjust it all the way tight..
are you sure the clutch/flywheel is for a DA cable trans?

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
He said he got a brand new OEM one.
yeah missed that originally - since the clutch isn't dis-engaging its got to be something with the assembly since the clutch cable is new...

Sammich

flip flopped clutch disk cause this issue? i randomly remember that the clutch disk that came off the car (advance brand) had etched on it 'flywheel side' i vaguely remember that...so i'm guessing there's only one correct way to install the clutch disk, correct?

cvcrcr99

Does the car jump forward when in 1st, the clutch down, and trying to start it?

If so, it happened on a Civic of mine about 2 years ago. Hydraulic set-up but the clutch needed to be replaced. Either the pressure plate fingers were bent, or there was a problem with the springs in a clutch. It was the stock clutch from 1992 though.

Sammich

yea i'm almost convinced it's a clutch issue and not trans now..but i dont know if it jumps forward, i'm an hr away from where my car is being worked on

dlo253

Yeah I am leaning toward a clutch issue of some sort. I haven't been given the lovely opportunity to mess with that area much besides balance and reassembly so I haven't dealt with any Honda clutch issues personally.

Sammich

well the transmission has been dropped all the parts and part numbers are SHOWING to be for the right transmission which is a 90-91...he says it looked like the clutch was possibly sticking to the flywheel (I THINK) or maybe it was pressure plate..i cant remember.

he said the release bearing looked good...i mean what do you guys recommend, replacing the release bearing?!? it is a brand new release bearing. here's a little piece of info, the transmission was sitting up, could build up on the input shaft that the clutch slides onto cause the clutch disc to do what it's doing?? i mentioned maybe wire brushing it and putting a little bit of grease on the shaft and work the clutch back and forth on it and maybe it'll smooth out if it's sticking.

some help would be VERY!!! HELPFUL!!!

Sammich

with more in depth searching, broad searching even, i went to google about my problem and ran across this intriguing thread which just so happened to be mainily about competition clutch kits:

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176208

cliff notes: many have had issues w/ competition clutches w/ my same symptoms. Has anyone else had issues w/ their competition clutch kits? i dont think i had my maxima long enough to run into this problem, but then again, it did work as soon as i got it from the mechanic shop. anyone?!?!?