Car won't start HELP!

Andy_dc2

Hey guys, so I bought a new starter for my 94 Integra GSR with a b20Vtec swap, I bought a b18c starter since my old one had the bottom broke where the bolt went and it was loose so it wasn't able to lock to the flywheel, I put my new one in and when I try to crank it up it clicks but nothing happens, I check the cables and everything looks right, if you guys have any information that can help I would really appreciate it

osiris19

You have all lights and every time? Go to start it just clicks? Sounds like the solenoid isn't engaging. Is the starter new? Battery fully charged?

Something else, can you compression (push) start the car?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Take the starter off and hook power to it; see if it pops out and spins. If so, make sure you have all the wires installed correctly.

Andy_dc2

You have all lights and every time? Go to start it just clicks? Sounds like the solenoid isn't engaging. Is the starter new? Battery fully charged?

Something else, can you compression (push) start the car?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Yes all lights come up, all electrical things work, battery is brand new and starter is too, just bought it today, i hear the click when I'm trying to start it and the lights dim a little as if it's trying but it just doesn't crank, I check the wiring and it's good

Nick_C78

Define new battery? Put a volt meter on the battery and see if it has 12v. Could be solenoid too, but more testing is needed.

Andy_dc2

Take the starter off and hook power to it; see if it pops out and spins. If so, make sure you have all the wires installed correctly.
I mean the starter is brand new, I just bought it today, if it may be the case where the starter is bad and defective I can just take it off and take it to get it tested, I'm sure the starter works since when I had my old one the car was doing the same thing, When I notice the car wasn't starting correctly and one day i heard a grinding noise from the starter and my car wouldn't start, I check the starter and saw that the bottom bolt piece had broke off which cause the starter not to be able to lock in right to the flywheel. I let the car sit like that for like a week and I tried starting it again and it just stopped clicking and grinding like i wouldn't even hear anything coming from the starter at all. So I took it to get tested just in case so if the starter didn't pass I knew it was that or if it did pass then I would know that the main problem was that it wasn't able to bolt on tight enough(basically so I can go from there and work my way up to the problem). So today I bought a new starter and when I try to start it now I hear the clicking noise but the car won't start. Sorry if I'm not able to explain right or I'm making sense

Andy_dc2

Define new battery? Put a volt meter on the battery and see if it has 12v. Could be solenoid too, but more testing is needed.
I bought a new one from autozone since my old one sucked, i had to jump it every time till one day it just wasn't holding charge on it's own, so the next day I went to autozone and bought a brand new battery, I did an oil change and changed spark plugs. When I plugged the new battery in I tried to start the car and the car was starting up and out of nowhere It stopped and a grinding noise was coming from the starter, that's when I saw that the bottom bolt was broken off and it wasn't really holding the starter in place like it should, so someone told me that maybe that was the reason the starter wasn't able to lock right and turn the car over, after a week of letting it sit there I tried one more time just to see if the starter was still doing the same thing and this time the starter wasn't making any grounding noises or anything at all so I went to autozone to get it tested and it passed and they told me to check my wiring, so I bought a new starter today and now it clicks but doesn't start, I checked my wiring and everything is good

99TegLs

I don't want to be an ass... But my buddy bought an automatic starter and it didn't work in his manual. It doesn't even fit right... buuut figured I would throw that out there. Different starters altogether.

Andy_dc2

I don't want to be an ass... But my buddy bought an automatic starter and it didn't work in his manual. It doesn't even fit right... buuut figured I would throw that out there. Different starters altogether.
Lol no worries, I bought as target fora a b18C which is Manuel and it was the same one it had before when it was actually running fine with no problems

Nick_C78

Ok, but you still haven't said that you tested the new battery to see if it has 12v or not. Batteries can get drained, even new ones. Also, if your alternator is crapping out, that could be why your other battery kept dying. Just another idea. 9/10 a clicking starter is a battery issue.

Andy_dc2

Ok, but you still haven't said that you tested the new battery to see if it has 12v or not. Batteries can get drained, even new ones. Also, if your alternator is crapping out, that could be why your other battery kept dying. Just another idea. 9/10 a clicking starter is a battery issue.
Okay I'll get my battery checked out since I don't have a volt meter, I did unplug the battery as soon as I find out the the starter didn't work, so the battery wasn't kept plugged in the whole time without the starter while I had it sitting in my garage and I plugged it back in when I got my new starter, which was yesterday, but I'll go get my battery checked just in case then

Andy_dc2

Okay so I got the car to actually crank up but it doesn't start all the way, it acts like it's gonna start but then it gives up and cranks up again but nothing