Catalytic converter theft on the rise.

MFBATZ

Reddit is fun.
Hey guys. I know it probably happens a lot, but I figured I would mention anyway. My old college sent out an email about catalytic converter thefts among 4Runners (I just bought one!), but it'll likely happen to other cars as well.

I know you are all protective of your cars from theft and break ins, but here's another thing to add to the list of what to be on the lookout for.

Here's the transcript from the email:

" Dear College of the Canyons Student,

As you can see from the subject line, I am writing to inform the campus community about the theft of two catalytic converters from cars parked in Lot 2 on the Valencia Campus. Catalytic converters are found under the car near the muffler. They are there to reduce smog.

Why catalytic converters?

Apparently, catalytic converter theft is an epidemic across the country because the price of platinum, one of the metals in the converter, has skyrocketed. Thieves can get $40 to $50 for a converter from an unscrupulous scrap metal dealer. Toyotas, especially 4Runners, are particular targets -- not only do their catalytic converters contain plenty of platinum, their high ground clearance makes them particularly easy targets. In fact, today?s thefts involved Toyotas."

Sent via HTC THUNDERBOLT - Gingeritis 1.2

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Some people are just desperate... Lucky for me my car is too low to even get to mine, and the dude and the muffle shop couldn't get it off with an impact gun :)

darksands

My friend got his cat stolen from his 4 runner at a home depot. I have a 4runner as well and I get paranoid when I drive it out. The integra is too low to steal anything from under that car.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Crazy. Some people are just dumb enough to work harder at not having to get a job, than they would if they were to just go to work and earn money like a respectful individual.

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
People would be sorely dissapointed if they tried to steal mine, lol...I did get around $70 for it, though :)

phatintegra

Banned
It's been a huge problem in the Washington DC area for years now. They hack them off and take it to the recycle place for cash. Here in the DC area they target mechanic and body shops and look for cars and trucks sitting in the lot over night.