clutch hose

pisharp

ok. well i just changed my stock clutch hose with a Russel/Edlebrock steel braided clutch hose and now its leaking from the clutch pipe that screws into the hose end. i dont understand how or why, any help is greatly appreciated.

acclude

cheap bastard
How bad is it leaking? If it's just a little, you may be able to use some teflon tape to solve the problem.

If it's leaking really bad like I suspect it is, it's because the "clutch pipe" as you put it is actually a pressure fitting and needs to be under a decent amount of pressure (about hand tight and then a 1/4 turn) in order to seal properly. After tightening it up that much, you should not be able to spin or move the line at all. It should be solid at the threads and the coupler.

Get back here and let us know how it goes.

acclude

cheap bastard
Good call. If it did get overtightened, you might as well just go buy another one.

Backwoodz Tuner

Hopefully you didn't cross thread it, then for sure you'll need a new fitting. Was there any rubber o-ring or beveled brass fitting that wasn't put on before installation? Maybe that's what's causeing the leak.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Good call. If it did get overtightened, you might as well just go buy another one.
Yep. Overtightening them renders them useless. It usually damages the seat to the point where it won't seal or cracks the fitting

pisharp

sick, all of this input is great. i really appreciate it. so...it was leaking a lot at first. i used the teflon tape and that has helped alot, i think it may have fixed the problem. but as you said i may have overtightened it. if it continues to leak i'll know now that i have indeed overtightened it. i'll be checking that tomorrow.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Just an FYI - Teflon tape is not good for those application. Hydraulic fluid can break it down and pieces can clog the line or slave cylinder.

acclude

cheap bastard
Just an FYI - Teflon tape is not good for those application. Hydraulic fluid can break it down and pieces can clog the line or slave cylinder.
Also, you're not really supposed to use teflon tape on pressure fittings. It actually puts them under more pressure so the fitting is actually under more pressure than it seems which can cause a leak out of the back side. I mentioned it as a temporary fix to hold you over until you can get a replacement. if it seems like it's sealing then you might be alright for a while, but keep an eye on the fitting and your oil level. I've seen the line pop out of the backside of the fitting due to the overtightening effect of using teflon tape and when that happens, it's a BIG DEAL. I wouldn't totally trust that line any more if you suspect that it got overtihtened. Just a suggestion.