Cooling fan wired to be on permanently

danielaamado

Ok so from my preivous threads. how would i wire the cooling fan so my car will not over heat while in idle for long periods of time. 1991 gs integra.any help would be much appreciated.

Rich-PMS

start off doing a coolant flush
replace T-stat with a new one

but hooking up the fan to a switch isn't rocket science.

find the positive, find the negative. and connect them to a ground/power source so the fan PULLS.

if you have the fan PUSH it wont do jack shit except blow warm/hot air from the engine bay and push it through the radiator fins

mirrorimg

Not a good idea IMO.
But many people do it all the time, and have no issues.

OP, you can run a power lead into the car, to a switch, and then to the positive side of the fan. Run the negative side to ground. This is the most basic set up, and can be done straight from the battery.

You could also simply run a wire from the fuse box under the dash that has open spots straight to the fan, and then to ground. There are a couple different options. Always on, even with key out, On when key is in the "ACC" position, and On when the key is in the "ON" position. You wouldnt even have to flip a switch. I would suggest putting a fuse inline to it though, in case there is a surge of power. I believe a 15amp fuse would suffice.

If someone has more information on this, go ahead and say it. I have not done this, so I am not speaking from first hand experience, just a couple of ways this could be done.

SGGilmo

well on my old 90 lude it was wired to a switch very pouly. I had to redo it. basically all i did was took the negative wire and crimped a loop connector on it and grounded it straight to the chassis (make sure you scrape off any paint. you want the wire touching bare metal). then took the positive end and ran it to a 10a fuse and then ran that to the toggle switch on the dash. then took the wire on the other end of the switch and put a female spade connector on it and plugged it into an empty spot on the under dash fuse box so it only has power in the "on" position. (the plug was for power windows which this car didnt have)

Rich-PMS

Like I stated, fix your overheating first.

Your car should NOT overheat at all.

I would reccomend hooking a fan up via switch that's connected to constant power so when you're at the track inbetween runs you can have the fan run and lock up car and have keys in your pocket if needed.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
Well, how would you wire up the fan to be on when the car is on/acc? One person explained it but wasnt too sure. I would like to do this without the switch.

mirrorimg

Well, how would you wire up the fan to be on when the car is on/acc? One person explained it but wasnt too sure. I would like to do this without the switch.
You wire it to something that comes on when the key is in that position, or the spot in the fusebox that has those properties.

DumaDa9

Like I stated, fix your overheating first.

Your car should NOT overheat at all.

I would reccomend hooking a fan up via switch that's connected to constant power so when you're at the track inbetween runs you can have the fan run and lock up car and have keys in your pocket if needed.
your car will over heat if its at idle and not moving if your fan doesnt turn on, i had a brand new radiator, thermostat and coolant, the fan didnt turn on while it was parked and it would start to over heat, not the fan stays on and i havent had any problem since, it would only happen if your fan is not working properly

i think mine was wired up somewhere on the distributor, not sure exactly how but i know he fabbed up a bracket for it, they have a very good reputation and are knowledgeable so i trust this method, i can check it out and post pictures if you're interested

Last edited:

SGGilmo

you could just do it the way i did but leave the toggle switch out. just do.....ground to chassis.......positive to 10a fuse......to an unused acc plug on under dash fuse box. only reason i left the switch in was so i could turn it off on the really cold days in the winter.

Rich-PMS

I just unplugged my fan, and let my car idle for 35 minutes. The gauge didnt go more than half way.
I also ran NO fan in my z, never had issues with overheating.

Just do a coolant flush, and you'll be suprised with results

justincpowell

1991 Acura Integra GS
when i bought my car it was wired to the radio(when it can recieve power, such as when the key is on acc, the fan is on) however my key likes to refuse to move to lock so i can remove it and its had times when it takes a long enough time to drain the battery. so i cut the wire and hooked it up on a simple on off switch. its an okay set up until i can take it back to stock and find the old problem. the old fuse was blown so at one time he had a short-to-ground

DumaDa9

I just unplugged my fan, and let my car idle for 35 minutes. The gauge didnt go more than half way.
I also ran NO fan in my z, never had issues with overheating.

Just do a coolant flush, and you'll be suprised with results
like i stated, i had a brand new thermostat, brand new radiator, and already did a coolant flush when i did my swap, and the car would still overheat because the fan wouldnt turn on.