Did I get ripped off?

subbyzzz

Car's in the shop, I'm having them do a basic rebuild on the engine (not replacing cams, pistons.. etc just the basic stuff) and putting in a new transmission. $1900 with a 2 year/60k warranty plus a JL audio sub because it took longer than expected. Did I get ripped off??

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
I don't really think you got a deal, but with my limited knowledge, as long as the shop is reputable, that sounds fair to me.
Lesson 1: Always shop around if you're spending more than $20

subbyzzz

Okay cool, cuz my buddy came over and was like "oh you way overpaid, my buddy coulda done it for 500 bucks.. blah blah blah" im sure everyone knows that guy. thank you guys very much for the feedback :) oh and by the way SSBP.. sometimes i pretend I'm the stig too haha

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
Roughly 14 hours in assembly and reassembly. Another 3-5 in engine removal and reinstall.

j13

Keep It Clean
if something went wrong with my car it will always be a DIY, but if you're not into wrenching, than you got a good deal

60k not bad. its a deal

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
Okay cool, cuz my buddy came over and was like "oh you way overpaid, my buddy coulda done it for 500 bucks.. blah blah blah" im sure everyone knows that guy. thank you guys very much for the feedback :) oh and by the way SSBP.. sometimes i pretend I'm the stig too haha
:thumbs up

subbyzzz

its funny, well not this part.. the guy got pneumonia and went to the ER and it took longer than he thought, so in addition he's throwing in a 12" JL audio sub in a box plus an Eclipse amp in my car (it's already wired for everything) plus I've got an alpine deck so WOOHOO

Prozon

Kris
What exactly are you getting for $1900? I wouldn't be all that excited about getting a sub that you can pick up for less then a hundred dollars.

"Basic stuff" means what? New bearings? New piston rings? New gasket kit? Oil pump? Honing cylinders? Cam grind?

If he's putting $100 worth of gaskets on your motor and charging you $1900, i'd say your getting ripped off.. even if he's completely rebuilding it, i'm still skeptical.. Now I doubt you're getting a "brand new" transmission, so what exactly are you getting? A $200 LS transmission?

If you want to know if you're getting ripped off, we have to know what exactly he's doing to your car.
Sorry my answer didn't just jump in and say it was a fair deal, i'm pretty careful when I spend money, and there's a good chance I wouldn't be paying that guy $1900 to do what he is doing..

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
Yes, but that's because you and I can do it ourselves, and can source parts cheap. I'm guessing that's not the case here :)

99tegjawn

Lmao pick up a 12" JL audio sub that works for under 100 Dollars and I'll forever call you god

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeanDA9

Considering i work for a dealership, and seeing labor costs all around id say you got a fair price. But the fact it came with a warranty, you can't go wrong with that.

Prozon

Kris
Lmao pick up a 12" JL audio sub that works for under 100 Dollars and I'll forever call you god
Well, from now on- you can call me God. I see them on Craigslist for $100 or less pretty much everytime I browse the electronics section, not to mention whenever I have a part on Craigslist they're always trying to trade me their subs for my parts.

If I didn't already have a set of 10's I might consider it, but I'm perfectly happy with what I have.