Does this look like a blown head gasket?

BellyUpFish

Fortunately, this is the first time I've ever dealt with a blown head gasket.

Obviously I'm getting leakage into the 2 and 3 cylinders..

Smoke was white, but it looks like oil. Shouldn't that be bluish smoke?

Also, I have oil in my coolant passages, which is pretty evident in the picture..

TIA

Block..

Head..

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Definitely a head gasket, the oil is probably coming from the passageway that routes it to the head. Just clean it up, put a new one on, and you'll be good to go.

BellyUpFish

You guys have recommendation on the best place to get a head gasket swap kit?

I'd like to get it all at the same place to save on shipping..

BellyUpFish

Ok, so I've got the head off and there's plenty of room in the engine bay, so I'm thinking I'll just go ahead and replace everything in there that might need it, or would be hard to change later..

I'm looking at ~250k on the clock.>

Water pump..
Radiator hoses..
Vacuum lines..
Timing belt..
PCV valve..
Plugs.. I'll wait on the wires, they're easy to change..
Oil pan gasket - thinking about changing it. It's probably on the stock gasket..

Head bolts? I've read conflicting reports.. The manual doesn't say to change them, but lots of folks say to. This is a stock setup vehicle, so I'm not running lots of boost or anything.

What else?

Last edited:

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Def water pump, timing belt, tensioner. Other than that if the hoses are worn replace them, but hoses get pricey so I wouldn't want to replace them all. You could do the thermostat as well.

Also if the oil pan isn't leaking I would leave it alone. That's one of those things that is a pain to seal properly. You should buy an aftermarket cam seal a well since the oem tend to leak when replacing.

Head bolts is up to you, since the head gasket blew you might want to replace them.

BellyUpFish

Def water pump, timing belt, tensioner. Other than that if the hoses are worn replace them, but hoses get pricey so I wouldn't want to replace them all. You could do the thermostat as well.

Also if the oil pan isn't leaking I would leave it alone. That's one of those things that is a pain to seal properly. You should buy an aftermarket cam seal a well since the oem tend to leak when replacing.

Head bolts is up to you, since the head gasket blew you might want to replace them.
Yeh, I mainly want to get to the hoses I wouldn't be able to with the head on, the rest can wait.

I'll look into the cam seal. Thanks.