Driving in the snow

adamlee17

1997 Acura Integra RS-S
Hi Everyone!

I drive a Acura Integra RS-S. A week ago a major snow storm hit my city and I was driving in the back roads home and I spun out and went into the ditch. No damage to the car other then the flange behind my cat needed to be replaced. I noticed that when I was driving in the snow my back end wants to slide out. Is there any way to keep this under control. I do take my time driving and I bought this car thinking it was a good car for the winter. Btw, I live in Barrie Ontario and we get huge amounts of snow here. (no chains allowed)

P.S I do have snows on all tires and they are fairly new.

Thanks!

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
Throw some sand bags in the car, distribute weight a bit more. Good tires will be your only answer tho

TEUGE

I would recommend learning how to drive in the snow. It’s not really that hard. My teg does great in the snow. I have my low pro summer tires on when a storm hit a couple weeks ago, and did just fine in the snow, until I got to the driveway and my car turned into a snow plow.

Teg is not a good plow btw.

Just slow way down and don’t push your driving limits/experience. It’s never really the "cars" fault that you end up spinning out into a ditch, but the driving technique being used when it happens.

BeatBox

Real Good!
-snow tires would help for sure, i have studded snows :) i dont play around, when it snows my car drives like normal

-or a good set of all seasons
-another thing make sure your better tires on the rears, EVEN THO the car is a FW it will do better over all
-like mention put some weight in the back, i have the system in mine so that helps out alot too

hope that helps

adamlee17

1997 Acura Integra RS-S
I was reading up on putting weight in the rear but I do not know how much to put. I will have to put my 2 12"s back in with the box and see if that makes a difference. The snow tires I have are Snowtrackers by Pacemaker? I got them before winter and they have about 80% tread left. I also have new all seasons.

I do not have any money to buy new snow tires as I am a student but I will have to learn how to drive this particular car in the snow. I have really only been driving for 2 years so I am new to this.

I always go slow in the snow especially cause the slush that likes to pull me into it :p

If there are more helpful tips for me let me know! Thanks!

**No chains or studded tires allowed in Barrie :p**

Last edited:

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Go slow, don't use the gas or brakes while going around a corner or use the e brake. Good tires and plan ahead and you'll be fine. I've driven in some atrocious circumstances on bald all season tires with only minimal sliding around

mirrorimg

Youre going to need more weight than a sub box and speakers. Think sandbags, maybe 2 50lb'ers.

adamlee17

1997 Acura Integra RS-S
I also made the mistake of having my best 2 snow tires on the front instead of the rear.

Prozon

Kris
You should keep the two best tires in the front. Your steering tires should be important. If your rear tires are bald, replace them. But it's much more important to have good tires on your steering end IMO.

Jeffbel

I saw a kid here in Utah made a molded cement block in the back of his teg. It was pretty legit, he bent rebar to make handles and everything.