ECUs?

ProjectHoku

Seibikojo Hoku
What do Ecu chips really do? like do they give more power? cuz sum advertisements say they have 9-20 hp gains...but i dun really trust that info...so can aneone clarify this? thx!

BoostedITR41

ProjectHoku said:
What do Ecu chips really do? like do they give more power? cuz sum advertisements say they have 9-20 hp gains...but i dun really trust that info...so can aneone clarify this? thx!
chips are a waste of money....hondata or AEM is the way to go if you got money....if you don't have a lot of money get a AFC and get on the dyno

DownShift96GSR

An aftermarket ECU remaps your fuel curve and RPM level for maximum performance. Factory ECU's do the same, but the also do maximum performance with good gas milage and emission levels. Aftermarkets just focus on the power output, not emissions or gas milage. But HONDATA is the way to go. Don't mess with anything else.

Todd

token ex-mod
i hope you're not talking about those $20 "ecu chips" that they sell on ebay.
all those do is make your comp think it's getting more air so you car dumps a shatload of fuel in and your car runs rich
you see no gains and you run the risk of damaging your car

01cleatus

I was looking at a Venom 400 performance chip for my car does anyone know if this is a reliable or even a productive product to buy. Its only like 300 bucks and it claims tive you 25% increase in HP and gives you like an extra 500 to 1,000 rpm(s) between gears, and etc. etc. Please any inpt would be awesome!

Todd

token ex-mod
the venom 400 is nothing more then one of those ebay chips with a switch... completely usesless.
they usually cause CEL's and have been noted to cause damage from running to rich.

the venom400 has a pre-programmed fuel/air map that WILL cause your car to run rich.. no more hp, no increases

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Todd's right on the mark. Those chips are a waste of time and money. If you do gain HP with one of these, it's a pure coincidence and just straight up luck that YOUR particular mods on YOUR particular engine agree with the info put on the chip. And btw, the ECU has nothing to do with the gearing of your transmission. It can't make your gears longer or shorter.

Last edited:

Exodius

DownShift96GSR said:
An aftermarket ECU remaps your fuel curve and RPM level for maximum performance. Factory ECU's do the same, but the also do maximum performance with good gas milage and emission levels. Aftermarkets just focus on the power output, not emissions or gas milage. But HONDATA is the way to go. Don't mess with anything else.
can you just explain what you mean by fuel curve?

Baldy201

Fuel curve is a set value that the computer uses to put fuel into an engine. If you look at in terms of RPM it looks like a curve.

Superesc

There's also Uberdata which is free, you only need a P28/75 ecu and have it chipped. I bought my ecu for 120 buck (CDN) and then pay 50 buck to have it chipped then off the dyno I went.