Engine build suggestions for my 97 GSR?

TurboBH

I have a 97' GSR, now I am now begining the build up of my car. I am thinking B20 block with ITR head and cams if they fit? (do they?) I want to put a turbo kit making maybe 1.2 BAR. is this reseaonable? Also I want to use the ITR tranny with the LSD in it. Is this a good combination? Obviously beefing up the B20 Block. I was thinking of using the Top Fuel kit but I haven't been able to get much info on them. What do ya'll think of them or what have ya'll heard? What kind of power do you think this might make? Thanks.

Baldy201

I suggest not getting the B20 for boost. the cylinder walls are weak,unless you plan on beafing them up. Also the B20 cant rev high enough for the ITR head. A better idea would be to bore out the ITR block and turbo that. Or just keep your block and turbo that. The best turbo kit for the b-series that i have heard is the REV Hard kit. It is quality made and can handle the most any boost that you through at it. But I have heard good things about the Top Fuel also. As for the ITR trans. it is a good choice. The gears are nice a short and it has a LSD so you can get the power to the ground. Overall I think that you have a good set up but the B20 block will be a major weak point.

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
dont get a B20 if you already have a B18C1. the B20 doesnt flow as much oil that a VTEC engine needs. if you want it to be torquey, then get some 84mm sleeves for your current block like some Darton or GE sleeves. i suggest sending your block to Dan Benson, hes the best. that way you can go turbo if you feel like it in the future.

and the best Turbo kit for B-Series engines is the Full-Race kits...

www.Full-Race.com

TurboBH

Hey I was just on full-race.com and there is a guy using the B20 block and making +508hp/366tq I was planning on putting a much more bullet proof bottom end for the block. I heard the block helps make a lot! more low end torque. Do you think that 1.2 BAR is a very streetable number for boost? Oh and does anyone know where to find the blue paint code for the integras?

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
Originally posted by "TurboBH"

Hey I was just on full-race.com and there is a guy using the B20 block and making +508hp/366tq I was planning on putting a much more bullet proof bottom end for the block. I heard the block helps make a lot! more low end torque. Do you think that 1.2 BAR is a very streetable number for boost? Oh and does anyone know where to find the blue paint code for the integras?
1.2 bar wont be streetable on stock bottom end. the reason hes getting 508 whp is because he has a strengthened bottom end. hes also using a Vtec head, which using Vtec in turbo engines seems to not like torque. you take a 500 non vtec engine and 500 vtec engine, ad youll have in the 300s for vtec and 400s for non vtec. Vtec heads give a lil extra HP but in a boosted car it doesnt matter that much. torque is what you want. its more fun on the street. id say the most you can push a stock engine is 15 psi, but thats with awesome tuning, a SAFC isnt awesome tuning, i wouldnt even consider it tuning. awesome tuning is running nothing less than Hondata. if you go LS/Vtec, get the oil line kits and lean as much as you can about it. oh, and B20 blocks are the exact same thing as LS blocks, only difference is B20 has 84mm sleeves. so get a LS block (they are cheaper) and send it out to get sleeved with 84mm sleeves

TurboBH

Ok maybe I wasn't very clear sorry, let me clearify. If I get B20 block, I'd be building more or less a bullet proof bottom end, then put an ITR Head on top of it. I heard the B20 w/ ITR head + turbo does good torque and good top end too. Doesn't the B20 block have like a single sleave for all four cylinders? If so does this help or does this hurt? Is the LS like this too? Do you know if more catback kits bolt-on to a cat bolted on to the downpipe? and still fit the same? I definately like the Full Race Manifold.

Baldy201

There are more things worng with the B20 block than just weak sleaves that cant be solved with just stronger parts. The B20 or the B18b dont come with oil squirters in the block. What they do is help feed oil to the parts of the block and head that need oil at high rpms. yea the B20 block is good if you plan on keeping it under 8000 RPM's. If you want to go to higher revs then you will need the better block to accomidate the higher RPM's. Just because you put on the ITR head doesnt mean that you can rev as high as the ITR. IDK if you were planing on running into the high RPM's or not. As stated before get the 84mm sleaves and then you can have your 2.0 L. you will have the same torque numbers if you went with the B20 and a higher rev than the B20. So keep your block and add the ITR head if you wish.

P.S. I hope that his conversation doesnt turn you away from this site. To me i sounds like we are ragging on you. This is a good site so dont go too far.

TurboBH

So do they make 2.0 stroker kits for the B18C1? I just wanted more torque on the low end to help out. And I don't know if i would go higher then 8k rpm's but probably would keep my B18C1 if I can go 2.0 and get the same torque numbers out of it. I am still not sure what turbo kit to get... I still am thinking about the Top Fuel kit but can't really find enough info to make that descision my self.

p.s. nope I'm feeling turned away from the site.

Baldy201

They did an artical about the GSR stoker kit in the januaray issue of Honda Tuning. I cant remember what kit the used but they had it bored out to 2.1L. Check you Crower, I know that them make sroker kits but I cant remember for wich engine. You can do almost anything you want with that engine of yours. the B18C has more combos than you can imagine. You can either stroke, bore, or both to get to your 2.0L. Also Make sure you do research before you buy.It will save you time and money in the long run.

TurboBH

Hey thanks I found a good kit there. Now I have another question. What are the differences between the B18C1 and the B18C5?

Baldy201

block wise it is the same thing. the only diffrence is what is inside. Higher compression, lighter rods and better piston shape all contribute to the higher output of the B18c5. Not to mention the head of the B18c5 is better. Port and polish come from the factory along with higher lift cams and better valve springs. Basicly those are the main diffrences between the two. If you are going to rebuild the bottom end, then just keep your block. there is no point in buying b18c5 block and then just swaping out what it is good for.

99gsr_

so if i wanted to try bringing my b18c1 closer to c5 specs couldn't i just install a c5 head?

hyper98gsr

you will need more than just a c5 head (which is only a nicely ported and polished b16 head from factory) to get a type r. but, yeah, you'll be closer.

i dont know much on boosting but i do know n/a motors. these guys are giving you really good info. but dont be scared to do what you want to your car. just take a little from everyone and use it to your advantage.

also, make sure you do the proper research before you start spending the loads of money your gonna spend for the stuff i saw in this thread.