Engine light question.

rnoswal

My 92 integra has been a challenge so far, but I can start it now at least. The problem is that I have to wait several seconds, up to 15 or 20 before the check engine light goes out and then the fuel pump does its 2 second engagement. I can hear the pump, then the check engine light goes off, then I can start the car. If I go right out to a cold car and try to just push in the clutch pedal, turn the key to start, it just turns over but won't start. After I go through the initial delay on the first start, I can turn it off and then the wait is much shorter. The fuel pump relay activates quicker, the pump goes on and I can start it much quicker, but if I let it set for a minute or more, then I have to do the longer wait again.

Is there a timer that activates the fuel pump relay? Before, I could not even start it, but after unplugging as many of the electrical plugs and check all the fuses, it has st least been starting. The main plug I checked last was in the driver side corner of the engine bay, right over the brake booster. One plug had a cover plug that had no wires coming out of it and the other did have wires coming out of it. I checked for power to the connectors and touching one of them made the fuel pump relay activate and the pump activate as well. I could hear the fuel running through the fuel line.

After plugging them back together, the relay started working.....I have 2 fuel pump relays, tried both and they both act the same. Sorry this is a drawn out question, it is really bothering me and I can't find any information in my manual. Hope someone here has had the same or similar problem.

Thanks

Russ