Engine Rebuild

99gsr_

So I've had this 99 GSR for about a year now. Haven't had much time to do anything to it. But today I had to take it into the shop for some routine maintenance and the guy said my oil was almost completely gone and that it looked burnt. Now I'm thinking wtf because I just had an oil change (synthetic) maybe a little over 2500 miles ago. He told me there aren't any leaks, but that it's common for a VTEC engine to eat oil once they get up in the 100K range, which I am.

Anyhow, so I'm taking the initiative now and doing what I've been meaning to do for a while now and that's rebuild the engine. ITR pistons, new bearings, valve job, port & polish, rod bearings, upper and lower gasket kits, new timing belt and water pump. The guy who's doing all this work for me says he'll do it all for 2900. $3000 is my limit so I'm kinda pissed that I'm not really getting any added performance other than the new pistons and the p&p. (really want new cams too).

Someone who's had this type of thing done before please tell me if that sounds about right for the price. Any other suggestions about piston type would also be nice because I'm still not decided on whether I want ITR or CTR pistons.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Baldy201

That price sounds about right, maybe a little on the high side. I would see if there is another engine builder in town that can give you another estimate.

ca86108

my cars like that its a oil eater i fill up every 4-5 days... but yea its cuz prolly ur vtec seals... or ur master cylinder is busted.. or cuz the way u drive

PogKai

B20VTEC
wow almost $3,000 to do that? I charged $300 for a job like that. Anyways I recommend that u get the JDM ITR pistons, they are more high compression than the USDM.

Baldy201

PogKai said:
wow almost $3,000 to do that? I charged $300 for a job like that. Anyways I recommend that u get the JDM ITR pistons, they are more high compression than the USDM.
Did you do a PnP also? That is where most of the money is going to. If you look at really good shops it costs like 2800 to just assemble an engine. LINK, CLICK ME King motorsports charges 2500 for full engine assembly. Bore/hone, 3 angle valve job, balanceing, and cleaning. So yea that price might be a little high but the PnP is what is costing the most money.

PogKai

B20VTEC
Baldy201 said:
Did you do a PnP also? That is where most of the money is going to. If you look at really good shops it costs like 2800 to just assemble an engine. LINK, CLICK ME King motorsports charges 2500 for full engine assembly. Bore/hone, 3 angle valve job, balanceing, and cleaning. So yea that price might be a little high but the PnP is what is costing the most money.
no man, my job is to mount and unmount, everything else goes to the machine shop.