Exedy clutches...

DB8_228

EclecticTeg21 said:
are the stage 1 exedy clutches any good? i plan on gettin one with a lightweight flywheel. thanks for the info
dude...my set up was the exedy stage 1 with the fidanza fly wheel (7.5 lbs.) Its like the best set up for daily driving. Thats if you going all motor thou. If your going all motor...lightest fly wheel possible.

Superesc

depending on what's done to your car the stage 1 should hold if its not modified alot (basic I/H/E?) If you are planning to turbo/SC you may want to keep your current flywheel or use a ITR flywheel (lighter but not too light).

EclecticTeg21

i plan on going turbo, but it wont be for a pretty long time. with that in mind, i plan on going with the act prolite flywheel, which is 8.8 pounds. i definately wont be getting alot of power with basic bolt ons, so im just going to go with the exedy stage 1. i can get these together for 400, so thats what im going to do. thanks for the help.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Exedy is a quality brand. I'm having an Exedy stage 1 clutch in a few weeks. My mechanic, and best friend, told me it engages just like the stock clutch, nice and smooth rather than a sudden GRAB!!, but it is a little harder to depress the clutch pedal, but not too bad.
He recommended this clutch for me, and my car will have I/H/C/E, stage 1 cams and Wiseco pistons (11.9:1). When it comes to clutches, its better to err on the safe side and get one that may NOT be able to handle the power your putting out, because you'd much rather have your clutch fail than your transmission. Keep the weak link at the clutch, just something to think about. Bigger ins't necessarily better in this area.

EclecticTeg21

well i ordered my exedy stage 1 clutch, and an exedy 9.9 lightweight flywheel. ill let everyone know how it goes when i get them installed.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
EclecticTeg21 said:
well i ordered my exedy stage 1 clutch, and an exedy 9.9 lightweight flywheel. ill let everyone know how it goes when i get them installed.
Me too :)

Except no flywheel for me, I'm just gonna resurface my stock flywheel. I'm already spending so much money this winter, I'm passing on the flywheel since its not a necessity. I'm still debating on getting an LSD or not. I have a chance to pick up a used ITR LSD and have it installed for $450 while my engine is out of the car anyway. But I don't know... :cry: My bill's ALREADY over $2,000 for everything I'm doing.

EclecticTeg21

yeah i know what you mean, i really shouldnt be buying the flywheel either but ehhhhhhh what can i say lol. what all are you doing that costs over 2 g's?

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Wiseco pistons 400 (for 11.9:1 compression)
Exedy clutch 260
new headgasket 75
catch can 80
APR head studs 120
Hondata IM gasket 50
ACL bearings 125
Seal kit 160
labor to install all that 300
hone cylinders 200
take out/re-install engine 500
dyno the new setup, hundreds more...

Wow, I guess I'll be over $2,500. And I'm not even getting new injectors which my mechanic also recommended. And I also want to do new engine mounts, new PCV valve and all new belts. Oh boy... :shock:

I'll be one pissed off human being if I do all this work and my car gets stolen.

EclecticTeg21

lol i dunno wut id do if my car got stolen. the new setup sounds like it will be sweet though. good luck. dyno tuning will probably be the most expensive of all. hope you like you new setup.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator

My Exedy stage 1 is in the car now, and I love it. It engages the same as the stock clutch, nice and smooth. The clutch pedal is a little harder to depress, but its very slight. I would say it's about a 10%-20% increase in difficulty to push the clutch pedal down. I was worried about that with getting a new clutch, I am a little bitch and didn't want a stiff clutch pedal. But this clutch is great, I recommend it for those not wanting a stiff clutch pedal.

Last edited:

dc2nr

i use a exedy stage 2, sucker grabs like a mofo

i love it tho, it takes a beating

and for stiffness, i cant really compare it to another teg, id have to say 2x more force, it sure does work out the left leg tho, and traffic jams suck in it.