fuel question fuck mid grade

Alvi84

In the owner's manual it tells you that you can use other gas than premium and the ecu will compensate but I wouldn't recommend it. The compression ratio of a gsr motor really prefers the higher grade gasoline for detonation purposes. You won't get the full potential out of the motor.

mjones73

It's got fixed 10:1 compression, hitting VTEC has nothing to do with the need for higher octane gas, the stock compression ratio does.

LSiNtegraDB7

I enjoy Integras.
People take vtec for granted. I wish I had it. I hate seeing threads when people ask if they can put lower gas in a B18c. :(

Cripton805

The USDM Vtec engines have a knock sensor. Yes you can, but I would only do it on emergencies. I would highly avoid this on a JDM engine because they have no knock sensor.

FYI it's Vtec not Vtech. That's a phone brand.

speedin

The Transporter
It says it on the fuel door too, but the manual says you can on emergencies.
Emergencies, such as your out in the middle of the desert without gas and all a stranger has is some 87 for you. Thats an emergency, now wanting to save a few pennies, no. There isnt a justifiable reason to ever run anything less then premium. Hell even if you were in the desert call AAA. If you run 87 in a GSR you will knock like mad and drastically reduce the life of the engine. If you cant manage to run premium in your GSR at all times sell it and buy a LS.

Cripton805

Emergencies, such as your out in the middle of the desert without gas and all a stranger has is some 87 for you. Thats an emergency, now wanting to save a few pennies, no. There isnt a justifiable reason to ever run anything less then premium. Hell even if you were in the desert call AAA. If you run 87 in a GSR you will knock like mad and drastically reduce the life of the engine. If you cant manage to run premium in your GSR at all times sell it and buy a LS.
That's exactly what I said in my first post EMERGENCIES.
So therefore you can, but you shouldn't do it on a regular basis or at all.

96GSRteg

Tyler
i dont know about anybody else, but i also got worse mileage when i tried regular. its not worth the couple bucks you'd save at the pump.

j13

Keep It Clean
Don't do it. can't afford gas, than sell your integra to buy alot of gas.

Once I was so broke I was close to selling my only car for gas...but then I thought what I need the gas for.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
You can put 87 in and it will run fine. The computer recognizes the lower octane and backs off the timing for slightly worse performance. The Engineers who created this fine pice of work said it was fine to put in 87 so I would listen to them although I was using 87 for a while to save money but found that I get anywhere from 1-3+mpg using 91. If you can get +2MPG using 91 instead of 87, it pays for itself. So from someone who actually has experience both, its better to pay the extra $2 per fill up for 91.
- Aaron

Last edited:

speedin

The Transporter
You can put 87 in and it will run fine. The computer recognizes the lower octane and backs off the timing for slightly worse performance. The Engineers who created this fine pice of work said it was fine to put in 87 so I would listen to them although I was using 87 for a while to save money but found that I get anywhere from 1-3+mpg using 91. If you can get +2MPG using 91 instead of 87, it pays for itself. So from someone who actually has experience both, its better to pay the extra $2 per fill up for 91.
- Aaron
Not sure what you consider fine, but judging off your other posts it doesnt seem like you ever get into your GSR. Maybe its a difference in climates/altitude but in FL I had the unfortunate time of riding in a GSR on 87 and it was not riding fine at all. I cringed at the sounds it was making.