Fuel/Sputtering issues upon starting after a few minutes of sitting???

Sammich

I've had this intermittent problem for the last few months and i'm kind of stomped on what is causing this, my guess is alot of fuel is being dumped just prior to cutting the car off and the car is struggling to 'get rid of it' when i turn the car over again?

Anyway, here is the scenario, say i come home from work, i turn the car off, run upstairs to change clothes to go to the gym, come back down stairs start her up and it's sputtering to the point of cutting off. I start it back up it's still sputtering and i give it gas and just start to pull out...by the time i back out of my driveway and put it in first, the sputtering has ceased, completely, and the car runs 100% fine.

Anyone have any ideas on what it is, or have dealt with this?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Its a heat soaking issue. Its common on alot of Hondas Ive tuned. If you let it cool down longer before restarting it wont happen. Or as soon as you drive or rev the engine its fine. Are you running on the stock ECU and stock injectors?

If you were able to watch AFR youd see that it is very lean during this period. Sometimes I can solve most of the issue by bumping up the IAT fuel trim at higher temps but I believe its the injectors that suffer low ms pulse performance when hot.

Sammich

well when it does it i do rev the engine...but it'll still sputter until i get the car moving. everything is stock on this car except the catback as far as 'mods' go. teh tune up is up to date, except for maybe the fuel filter, which i changed out a year ago...i dont have a intake sensor...i have a 90 integra, i dont think that came along until maybe 97+ integras maybe? unless it's placed somewhere else.

how can i solve this 'heat soaking' issue? get a tune?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
All MAP cars need a IAT sensor. Its on the intake manifold or intake pipe. On the 2nd gen its on the #1 intake runner.

Do a test first. See if you can manually log engine bay temps when this occurs. I have a multimeter with a long thermocoupler I've zip tied in the engine bay before. Mount it on one of the injectors and just note it each time this happens. See if there is a correlation with temp. Then try letting the engine air out by leaving the hood open until you restart it and note temp.

Ive never been able to fully tune this out on cars that were affected only fixed it with bandaids such as the IAT trim or post start trim. But you cant make those adjustments until youre able to tune the ECU.

Sammich

i cant lie, that sounds like greek lol....some of what i just read via google in relation to heatsoak..i either just need to leave the car running while i run into the house, or pop the hood to help let the heat escape. also seems like a viable reason on why people to pop the rear of their hoods too.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Yeah try popping the hood see if that allows it to cool enough not to cause problems. It would be nice to get some more data on the exact temp that causes the issue tho.

Jayteg

If that works just buy a hood with huge vents in it like off need for speed underground lol

Sammich

SN: when i pop the hood after the same amount of sitting time, it doesnt do the same...i guess it's the heatsoak...what are some cures for this?

pluckt007

Fat guy in a little coat.
i have that same problem! lol... good thing i came across your post because i was wondering if my starter was going out, throttle body, or something... if i try to start it again after it only being off for a couple of minutes and it wont start, i have figured out just to wait. usually like only 2-3 minutes. i would visualize fuel receding from wherever that place is that people say, "stop or you'll flood the engine"

i have learned too just to keep the car on. i figure hey, i drive a stick so not too many people can drive away with it anyways...

put it into gear and pull away immediately helps. even a split second delay will cause it to die, so know where your going before you turn the key so you can get into gear and get the car moving to that spot a.s.a.p..

Muckman

Not a M0derator
SN: when i pop the hood after the same amount of sitting time, it doesnt do the same...i guess it's the heatsoak...what are some cures for this?
I called it! There isnt much you can do that isnt extreme. A vented hood perhaps. Or possibly a manual fan switch to leave them on when the car is off. Easiest solution is to keep the revs up slightly when starting the engine hot. As soon as you start driving itll be fine.

Sammich

:( makes me feel like my car is poo lol. well i appreciate it man. i mean are there any lasting detrimintal effects from this heatsoak?