G1 opinions on mods, engine swap

graveyardhippie

G1 opinions

ok, so here's the deal. i'm moving to Barnegatt *sp* NJ in like 3 weeks or somethin. by the end of the summer, or before, i want to do a B swap on the G1. i have some thoughts about it in mind, but i wanted opinions b/c maybe i didnt think about some stuff, or maybe u know where a better deal is. and also, she's gonna need rims, and a suspension set up. i've found a few options also as far as coilover's and such go, but i like my cars very low, so if you can find something lower than the ones ive seen, that would help too. and of course, i'll have step by step pix up when i'm doin the work. thanx guys. and also, the time slips will be up when she's done too. :D

Darrell

Have you thought about buying a G2, they are cheap and nice. 89 is a bit dated, you might be able to find a good deal on a dropped G2 on craigslist.

1990TeGLs

Official CI Thread Jacker
mines a 90 i prefer my body style over the g1 anyday...u deff should get a g2....and i dont think u can get those cars to low...

g3teg97

Super Moderator
I've seen a G1 that looks like the AE86s and it's dropped really low.

Not too many people have a G1 with a B16 in it...

graveyardhippie

g3teg97 said:
I've seen a G1 that looks like the AE86s and it's dropped really low.

Not too many people have a G1 with a B16 in it...

actually, if anyone does a B swap, they usually go w/the b16.... unfortunately i'm not a big fan of that route, i'd rather go 18..... at least that's my thought so far, but what hit me on the way to the store.... anyone know much about workin w/a B20??

also, i wanna stick w/the G1 just b/c it's (a) more rare to see fixed up (b) in super shape, i'll have better pix later (c) it dont weigh too much. so i wanna give it a try. and who kno's? if i'm really fortunate, maybe my mom inlaw's fiance will take a liking to the tuner thing, and wanna drop a K my way. i'd do it if i had the money, but i personally dont have that much, so i'm thinkin B series.

graveyardhippie

1990TeGLs said:
mines a 90 i prefer my body style over the g1 anyday...u deff should get a g2....and i dont think u can get those cars to low...

i dont know what springs were used, but i saw one on g1teg, and the guy had the coilovers at the top, and the thing was almost tuckin, and he had like 3 inches left he could drop it..... also, for the front, depending on the whp, you can either notch the factory torsion bar to drop for stability, or buy aftermarket stronger ones. so she can lay almost in the dirt...... i'm just tryin to figure out the best way how.

Winki

Undercover mod
I saw a mag not to long ago were there was a C5 in one.
but with the B20 you would have to buy a seperate tranny and ecu which would both work as LS.
just doit!! so how much does your car weigh???

Winki

Undercover mod
looking for a cheep but step up from the stock 118hp go with the B18A or B since you don't like B16. Just an LS, then turbo it :thumbs up . eather way it will be a sleeper. just start small then work your way up like if you want to get a gsr later you will already have the B series set up :D