Got a miss that just won't go missing :)

ChrisN

HI!!! Im the fng here ;) I'd like to thank everyone ahead of time for looking and posting on my thread.

Im driving a 1989 Acura Integra LS with a 1.6L and an automatic 4 speed. This car is not beutiful by any means, my stepfather and i pulled it out of the junkyard and resurected it about 10 years ago, lots of body panels held together with zipties and screws, but mechanicly its very solid/dependable. We parked it for a while and recently ive been forced to start driving it again for gas mileage. i dragged it out and it had a few problems ofcourse from setting. got most of em fixed but one is driving me nuts, it was missing during low range and i figured "electrical tune up needed" well i did plugs/wires/button/cap/coil and this made it worlds better BUT.....

When i first fire it up in the morning it idles ROUGH! but after about 5-6 mins it smooths right out. recently it has gotten worse now its missing/stuttering when you barely put youre foot on the gas taking off, if you get into the pedal it will catch up and run fine. Today i finally lucked up and was in a position to check the code window under the seat when the check engine light came on and im getting a code "1" and also a code "17" from what i can tell #1 is something to do with oxygen (im thinking 02 sensor(s)) # 17 is Vehicle Speed Sensor?? (not sure) any way im really tight on cash and i was wondering if the members here would be willing to give opinions before i got throwing money at the problem because money is tight to say the very least. Thanks in advance for looking and im sure i left some vital pieces of info out but im braindead at the moment so if you need more information please feel free to ask :)

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
I would say your o2 sensor is bad... try replacing it to see what that does. also when was the last time the fuel filter was replaced?

ChrisN

I would say your o2 sensor is bad... try replacing it to see what that does. also when was the last time the fuel filter was replaced?
replaced the fuel filter about 3 weeks ago, replaced the O2 sensor today. actually it helped a lot stopped the loping in low speed but ive still got a miss when its cold an a bit of one on take off if youre just barely on the gas. I'd say it was a vintage 1989 o2 sensor i removed, took about an hour and a whole can of spray oil, lol

thanks for the help, any guess on the cold miss? idles fine when it warms up a bit.

sstig13

I had the same problem with my 1989 integra, I could replace the spark plugs and it would be ok for a short while and then it would start to miss again. It ran rough when you first start it and it would just smooth out in about 5 or 10 seconds. It was giving me an oxygen sensor code too. I wouldn't worry about the vehicle speed sensor code too much I believe that is in the speedometer on our cars, My speed sensor has been bad since I had the car no drive ability issues It might mess with the cruise control if you have it. Sadly it turns out I had head gasket issues and I found this out after trying everything including changing the computer. It ran rough because when it was parked it would cool down and anti-freeze would leak into the cylinders just a little bit. This caused it to run rough when it started up, and the antifreeze mixing in with the air and fuel will throw off the Oxygen sensor and eventually foul the plugs. It could be a head gasket, in my case the engine block needed to be resurfaced, I had the head resurfaced and it didn't help. But this may not be your problem but the symptoms sound familiar. You should buy a new Oxygen sensor too that would eliminate that as the problem, using a used one is like reusing a head gasket. Who knows you might just be able to put a new graphite head gasket on it and be good to go. Those head gaskets just go out sometimes my wife had a 91 prelude that just went out for no reason no over heating or low oil issues it just started doing the same thing that both of our cars were doing and a head gasket fixed it. Sorry to type such a long reply hope this helps. I have been a honda mech. for about 9 years.

Last edited:

Classa64

Maybe a gummed up sticking lean injector...Maybe do a cylinder compression test and a leak down test, might have a burnt exhast valve, maybe a vacume leak at the intake? Lots of possibilities so start with basics, Fuel Pressure, Compression