Gram Light Replica's

speedin

The Transporter
haha i never thought of a scoobie that way mark.
A GTR is the same thing. There a cheaper (hate to say it but its true) less well built car that still delivers the performance of the 911 Turbo but sacrifice in certain areas (and a STI is more like a Carrera 4S not a Turbo, I exaggerated on that one). But like a Rota, it will deal with your driving but when you crash or hit potholes the size of dogs at 80 mph they will fail worse than a big brand wheel. BUT keep in mind the big brand still fail under the same circumstances, they just usually bend versus crack.

Last edited:

speedin

The Transporter
Well in that analogy, yes, the Kia is closer to an Acura than a Rota is to a BBS or a WRX is to a 911 Turbo. And no, the Rota does not perform like a BBS either. (Just picking BBS as a random example)

But this isn't the topic so we'll stay on subject....continue with the thread lol :thumbs up
So if a Rota is such garbage then why is it so many thousands use them without issues for thousands upon thousands of miles. Of course with that many numbers your going to have failures, and the internet has been such a great way to shine a light on those examples and exaggerate them.

So show me how a rota does not preform as well as a BBS? Not looking at crashes, if you get in a crash something will break, get used to it. Only failure ive seen worth noting are on track cars where hub temps are insane, in that case your a fucking nut to run a rota (yet many teams do without issues). But as ive said many times before, 90% of people buying these rims are not using them for a race spec car that has serious hub temps over an extended track event that can cause the failure. All wheels fail, forged, cast, etc. Some just fail sooner and in different ways (bend vs crack).

Your not going to be driving down the road, or accelerating and your rota just fails. Its going to take a massive hole at speed, a crash, or a serious track event.

IMO, for a DD car the only reason to get these uber pricey rims is for the "bling" factor or because you can afford it. Because there going to chip, and going to take abuse (depending on driver curbage), and have a high risk of theft, and for a $500 a pop rim thats a motherfucker unless your loaded. So why not get the rim that will put up with what you ask for a fraction of the cost.

Again, if your tracking then your ass can afford some RPF1's at least for dedicated track wheels, because you usually dont want to even use the street rubber at the track. For everything else the Rota's will be fine.

And this is exactly what this thread is about. He is looking for a knock-off.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
I don't hate Rotas because of their quality or whatever. I hate what companies like them do to the design, quality and R&D of the industry. It is people who go around making cheap sub par copies like that, that drive our companies building quality parts into bankruptcy

The least they could do is show some originality or alteast a piece of brain big enough to come up with their own designs instead of banking off other peoples hard work. They are to the industry what welfare is to my paycheck

Last edited:

speedin

The Transporter
I don't hate Rotas because of their quality or whatever. I hate what companies like them do to the design, quality and R&D of the industry. It is people who go around making cheap sub par copies like that, that drive our companies building quality parts into bankruptcy

The least they could do is show some originality or alteast a piece of brain big enough to come up with their own designs instead of banking off other peoples hard work. They are to the industry what welfare is to my paycheck
I completely agree with that, and for everyone who makes that argument I agree with them. Its the inferior wheel argument I think has been exaggerated. If I could afford to support the better wheels I would, but sadly I cant afford them. Just as I cant afford a Carrera 4s, so I drive the Subaru, id LOVE to have that Porsche, but I just cant :(.

Rota really needs to make some original designs, I mean it cant be that hard, shit, give me some time and ill draw up some fresh ideas I think would look good. But then again alot of wheels have to be somewhat of a copy, as you can only alter a 5-spoke, mesh, or 6-8-etc spoke so much. But they dont have to be a direct copy like rota. Rota has to be making enough that they can keep making copies, and come out with some fresh designs

ISMELLBACON!

ISmellBacon!
In all honesty, I only payed 5k for my car, and only have invested a few hundred dollars in mods. I'm not into the "Street Racing" scene or anything, I'm just a kid trying to have fun with his car. Although I wish I could drop 2k in the Gram lights (cause they are DROP DEAD SEXY :D) I'm probably going to go with the Rota's. Thanks for all the input. I shouldn't be hitting any dog sized potholes and 80 mph ;). Thanks again everyone.

heykosal

Angkorian
So yea, Rota's are a perfect option.
Why am I not surprised to see this come from a SUbie guy?:lol:

That makes me giggle.

Absolutely agreed. It would be a different story if ROta didn't bite on other company's designs.

speedin

The Transporter
Why am I not surprised to see this come from a SUbie guy?:lol:

Absolutely agreed. It would be a different story if ROta didn't bite on other company's designs.
What is that supposed to mean? Every car in the Jap car scene is huge with rota's.

And yea, like I said on that argument I totally agree. They can make there own designs.

heykosal

Angkorian
Everytime I check any Subie forum it seems I see at least one thread with someone swearing by Rota's

speedin

The Transporter
Everytime I check any Subie forum it seems I see at least one thread with someone swearing by Rota's
Well you can find that on every car forum, Honda/Acura/Mitsu/Nissan lol, by far not just a Subaru thing. There are just as many lovers and haters across brands/models.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere

tell that to the drug companies:lol: