Grooves on B16A head

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
So I picked up a b16A head off of Craigslist and didn't realize till now that there were grooves on the camshaft journals, just on the one journal on both sides. One can be felt by my fingernail and the other one not. I know I can lose oil pressure and I was just wondering if there's any way to fix it or if it's fine. I'm doing Lsvtec by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R13

The other asshole
More like 2012.

Sent from my toaster

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
My bad y'all, I'm going to upload pictures in a bit

OneFastGSR

If you can feel it with your finger i'd say it's too bad, If it catches your fingernail you can try like a scotchpad or something to smooth it out..

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd

I barely feel it with my finger in the middle of the journal for both sides. I can REALLY feel it around the left side of the journal though. It's the 2 journals near the cam gear that have these grooves

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
And when I mean "both journals" I meant the intake side and exhaust side.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Its borderline. Take it to a machine shop and get their opinion. Sometimes you can sand it down with a fine grit but it depends on the severity. Cam journals are more forgiving than main journals.

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
Its borderline. Take it to a machine shop and get their opinion. Sometimes you can sand it down with a fine grit but it depends on the severity. Cam journals are more forgiving than main journals.
I got my auto tech teachers opinion on it. (yes I am still in high school)
He said that if he seen it on another honda with the original B16A block, he said it wold be fine but he's not so sure about my situation since I am making a Frankenstein motor.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Ask him if he would repair it. Essentially you want to line hone the cam journals but your limited by the cam clearances (they are listed in the FSM). So you cant hone it out more than the clearance will allow which may not be enough to remove that scratch. Plus you need to completely disassemble and thoroughly clean the head after.

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
Ask him if he would repair it. Essentially you want to line hone the cam journals but your limited by the cam clearances (they are listed in the FSM). So you cant hone it out more than the clearance will allow which may not be enough to remove that scratch. Plus you need to completely disassemble and thoroughly clean the head after.

He also that could work but we don't have those type of stuff in our auto tech class. Said I have to go to machine shop too. I'll look the specs for the cam clearances