Hang on or move on?

Torn

Hi all. On the advice of an experienced member, I'm reposting this from the newbie thread. And adding a bit.

I am brand new to this site, and glad I found it. I plan to explore the site fully. But for now at least want to introduce myself and my dilema. I've been driving a '95 Integra for the past 15 years. I think it's an LS (I honestly can't remember the trim for sure, but know it's not a VTEC). I love the car, but it's getting old. A few weeks ago the AC belt tensioner (also controls the power steering and alternator belts) fell out of the car while I was driving a major highway. Like any 16-year old car, mine has had it's share of issues in the past (tail pipes, alternater, starter, rust...). But this was a little different, even though it turned out to be an easy fix. It got me thinking, is it finally time to buy a new car?

Trouble is, I love my Integra. As near as I can tell, the Integra was the best car ever built - light, quick, versatile, etc. I'm sure I don't need to recite all of its virtues for this club! I love driving the car. And it has performed incredibly well for me. I don't want to let it go. To make matters worse, I can't find any car on the market today that can match the Integra in weight, mpg, performance, and cargo space.

The thought entered my head to have the Integra rebuilt, maybe even drop a GSR engine into it. But, as some of my friends have reminded me, it would be a bit odd (and perhaps perverted) to sink that kind of money into a car this old. In fact, one conversation I've had about giving the car new life brought up Stephen King's Pet Semetary --- that didn't work out very well, and now I can't get the Ramones song out of my head.

In any event, I want to talk to a mechanic who could tell me what challenges I might be facing if I choose to rebuild, and maybe find someone who could do the work should that be my path. I'm near Philadelphia, PA. If anyone has any advice, I would surely appreciate it.

I look forward to seeing you all on the site.

Steve

mirrorimg

If you want to keep it, keep it. If you want a new car, get a new car. Pretty simple. It doesnt really matter what we tell you, its your decision.

For me,I bought my integra a year and a half ago, and have probably spend 4k in maintenance/rebuild and spending another 2k in engine upgrades.

If just depends on what you really want out of the car.

Torn

Thank DZ and Jzn!

I'm a biologist, so maintaining a car is about as far away from my expertise as one can get. But I think I've maintained it pretty well. Oil changes every 3-5k, filters, timing belt (x2), and all the other stuff I know of. But despite my efforts, the car is getting creaky, the hatch leaks rain water (which collects in the spare tire compartment), power window motors are failing, several dash lights are gone, tach is broken, retractible antena is frozen (replaced once a while back), and rust is popping up. Is there maintenance that prevents this stuff?

I frequently get belt noises and issues of unknwn origin, and suppose I could do better at getting them fixed. But when I do have them checked out, I usually get "the car's old." I guess if I knew a real good, trustworthy mechanic, I could do a better job.

Just to repeat, I love this car. And I'm willing to committ to fixing it up to the best shape possible. But I need some help. Any suggestions on a good mechanic would be awesome! I'm in Glenmoore, PA and I work in Wilmington, DE. A good resource in the area would be awesome.

jznsn2u

Thank DZ and Jzn!

I'm a biologist, so maintaining a car is about as far away from my expertise as one can get. But I think I've maintained it pretty well. Oil changes every 3-5k, filters, timing belt (x2), and all the other stuff I know of. But despite my efforts, the car is getting creaky, the hatch leaks rain water (which collects in the spare tire compartment), power window motors are failing, several dash lights are gone, tach is broken, retractible antena is frozen (replaced once a while back), and rust is popping up. Is there maintenance that prevents this stuff?

I frequently get belt noises and issues of unknwn origin, and suppose I could do better at getting them fixed. But when I do have them checked out, I usually get "the car's old." I guess if I knew a real good, trustworthy mechanic, I could do a better job.

Just to repeat, I love this car. And I'm willing to committ to fixing it up to the best shape possible. But I need some help. Any suggestions on a good mechanic would be awesome! I'm in Glenmoore, PA and I work in Wilmington, DE. A good resource in the area would be awesome.
The issues you listed are common to integra owners. If there's anything you need help on or would like to research yourself, use the search button on the top right of the forum :thumbs up. The hatch leaks because moisture is getting in through your rear tail lights. There's a rubber insulator that sits between the tails + the chassis. It's basically just condensation in the inside of your car bro, it happens to me too.

Power windows are easy to replace but you have to admit, they're not meant to last forever. Check your fuses for the dash lights, if not they probably just burnt out which isn't too expensive. The tach, what's broken about it bro? The antenna - You could upgrade to an s2000 "shark" antenna which isn't too hard to install and looks very aggressive and sleek compared to the integra antenna pole. Rust - sand the area down, prime it, shoot it with paint then clear it. :thumbs up. Easy fixer uppers bro.

Torn

Thanks Mirror. I didn't see your message before my last post. You're right. And I want to keep the Integra - just need some help keeping it up. The decision whether to do so, I suppose, relates to finding the resource to fix it up and keep it up. Any suggestions as to how to find a great mechanic are welcome!

Torn

Thanks again jzn. Sorry if I over-emphasized the minor things, and they are minor things. But I just don't have time to figure out how to replace window motors, etc. Nor do those issues bother me sufficiently to have firestone or the like fix them. I guess I mentioned those issues in an effort to convey how "disrepaired", yet well maintained (on significant things) the car is.

Please don't get me wrong. Your suggestions are truly appreciated. And I will follow your suggestions - one at a time. The fuses to the dash lights are OK. It's a matter of figuring out how to take the dash apart to replace the bulbs. What's broken about the tach - it never moves from 0. The leakage in the hatch (I sucked at least a gallon of water out of the spare tire compartment a few months) - could that really be condensation? I'll check out the shark antenna, and try to figure out the sanding and painting.

At some point in the life of a car, is this kind of work no longer worth it? Perhaps not with an Integra!

ls/lownslow

take your time and fix the main problem first

the only time i say give up on it is when the car is actualy falling apart to the point that it would cause an acident/ injury to you or another or if the whole car is rusted due to it being a northern car

but from what you are saying it nothing major

first get your leak fixed
then try to find out whats wrong with the tach
antenna is cheap just have to get it and do it
window motors are not that hard to replace ( if you need some i have extras )
and for the rust just try to eliminate as much as you can by sanding it down like jznsc2u said and coating it with etching primer

exactly which lights are bad?

Torn

Thanks Is. The dash light out is the left side backlight. So at night I can't see the temp guage or part of the tach (which is broken anyway). Also the gear selector is dark. Neither is a big deal as long as the car's not overheating and moving forward (indicating I'm in drive). I suspect the oil indicator might be bad too, having found the oil low by dip stick once without a warning light, but not sure. Also no biggie if I keep my eye on it manually.

After chatting with a friend who used to own a body shop, I realize now that my biggest problem might be the rust. Based on obvious rust location near joints and the wheel well, I need to have him inspect it to see if I have structural problems.

Ultimately, I want a new Integra that looks like the one on the main page of this site. Knowing that's not gonna happen, anyone selling one in good condition in case mine doesn't make it?

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
...Trouble is, I love my Integra. As near as I can tell, the Integra was the best car ever built - light, quick, versatile, etc. I'm sure I don't need to recite all of its virtues for this club! I love driving the car. And it has performed incredibly well for me. I don't want to let it go. ...
looks like you answered your own question bro :thumbs up

my uncle bought the integ brand new in 95. sold it to me about 7 years ago with 114k on the original motor/tranny. with the proper maintenance, it will last quite a long time. ive gone thru a timing belt, 2 radiators, dist. cap/rotor, spark plug wires, spark plugs, a clutch, a few sets of tires, and all kinds of other stuff to be expected with an older car. right now, i have well over 250k on the original motor/tranny and still runs as strong as it left the lot.

i know for DAMN SURE im not going to sell mine. its the first car i ever bought and taken care of by myself. im going to hang on to it as long as i can.

a member on the site posted a thread asking how much people have put into their ride. i got up to 5k and stopped thinking about it. lol!!

parts are plentiful and at a very reasonable price. if you're looking for a new car, fell free to buy one. use the integra as a daily.

what year is yours?

Last edited:

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
...Trouble is, I love my Integra. As near as I can tell, the Integra was the best car ever built - light, quick, versatile, etc. I'm sure I don't need to recite all of its virtues for this club! I love driving the car. And it has performed incredibly well for me. I don't want to let it go. ...
looks like you answered your own question bro :thumbs up

my uncle bought the integ brand new in 95. sold it to me about 7 years ago with 114k on the original motor/tranny. with the proper maintenance, it will last quite a long time. ive gone thru a timing belt, 2 radiators, dist. cap/rotor, spark plug wires, spark plugs, a clutch, a few sets of tires, and all kinds of other stuff to be expected with an older car. right now, i have well over 250k on the original motor/tranny and still runs as strong as it left the lot.

a member on the site posted a thread asking how much people have put into their ride. i got up to 5k and stopped thinking about it. lol!!

parts are plentiful and at a very reasonable price. if you're looking for a new car, fell free to buy one. use the integra as a daily.

as for the burnt out bulbs, 5 screws ;)

**CLICK HERE**

Torn

Having now reviewed the threads re cars for sale on this site, I should have been more specific above re Integras for sale. But if you know of others in Philadelphia or its burbs, please let me know.

ix - mine is a '95. What do you mean by five screws? I can replace my dash lights that easy? My buddy at FS said it's a huge pain in the ass to replace dash lights, taking the whole dash apart and the like.