Head bolt length on B18B1?

BellyUpFish

Just wanted to check my head bolt length to see if my bolts have stretched or if I can use them again.

Anyone know the lengths?

BellyUpFish

Yeh, I've read a lot of conflicting info..

Seems a lot of people think these are TTY bolts and they're not. If they're not stretched, I'll feel ok putting them back in. If they're stretched I'll most likely just grab some stock head bolts.

The car is a stock setup, so I'm a little hesitant to throw $135 at studs for a car that is casually driven. If it was going to get beat on, sure.

Decisions, decisions. :)

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
I would say if it is the first time they have come out and the engine didn't overheat or anything of that sort, then go ahead.

Not a bad idea to put them back in the same hole they came out of either.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
You are correct they are NOT torque to yield bolts. If this is not a performance build then just reuse them. It will be fine.

BellyUpFish

I do have calipers.

It's not a performance build. I literally drive it for less than 10 miles a day, to and from work, so my WRX stays in the garage and out if the sun all day.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
For the record. You wouldn't have been able to measure the bolt lengths because you never took a before measurement. Plus any length you would find online would be the thread length and not overall length. Even brand new, high quality ARP fasteners will vary 1-3 thousandths in length. The service limit of a 3" long ARP rod bolt is only .0005" stretch. Do you know what the service limit of a 12" long head bolt is? Neither do I.

So reuse those head bolts and don't lose any sleep over it.