Headgasket replaced, no start

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
okay ive read alot of forums about how cars wont start after they replaced their headgaskets. Im having the same problem and i think its because my timing is off, possibly. My time gears are at tdc because the up arrows point up on the gears, but i dont think my crankshaft is at tdc. the three marks on the crankshaft pulley doesnt line up with the line on the timing cover and when it does, the cam gears are pointed at about 11 oclock. i took out my sparkplug on my #1 cylinder and stuck my dipstick in the hole and turned my crank. the cam shaft is at tdc when the piston is also cuz the dipstick reaches the highest point, but the three lines on the pulley doesnt match up with the mark on the timing cover So maybe i put the pulley on the crankshaft wrong? is that possible? I just want to make sure my timing is dead on before i check for any other reasons why my car wont start.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
The crank pulley can only be put on in one direction. On the crank pulley there are 3 marks close together and one by itself, 2 grey and 1 red, and 1 white by itself. You want the white mark on the pulley which can be really hard to see sometimes, ignore the other marks. The timing belt cover mark lines up with the white mark on the pulley for TDC. Also, behind the crank pulley, where the crank drives the timing belt, are some marks. One is on the pulley that drives the belt and the other is on the oil pump. The cams (if they're stock) also have a hole-one on each-near the cam gear that will point straight up, lining up with matching holes on the head and the arrows on the cam gears, and a punch can be used to lock the cams in TDC. I remember having trouble setting my timing before and I think it was because the marks only lined up once every # of turns. If you're turning the engine with a wrench you should be able to feel if any valves are hitting the pistons.

Rattlecan Hero

Frame Banger
Make sure you didn't get any wires pinched in between the head and block. Sometimes it's the little things. Did you re install all the wires and sensors correctly? Check and double check.

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
okay guys thanks for the info. i think i lined up the wrong marks up. :/ gotta fix that. thanks for the help.

R13

The other asshole
I always found it to be easier to bring cylinder #1 to the top and set the cams to TDC but using the mark on the crank pulley is probably more precise