help, cu ft box for 10" mtx thunder

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
I have an old 10" mtx thunder and I need single speaker box that requires a space of .75 cu ft. I have found a schematics for this info. MTX said, sealed is ideal for small space, but is recommended to use a vented box. Im not familiar with sealed vs vented. Can someone school me about the difference?

Im on a cheap budget of trying to find something closer to free. Right now, I dont have a place, or the tools to build a box. Finding one on craigslist will be my best option for now. That being said, i did find 2 people on CL. One has a sealed box of .39 cu ft. 11x11x5.5 inside dimensions. The other has a sealed box of 1.17 cu ft. 13x13x12 inside dimensions.

Should i stick with someone with more space, or less? Im thinking smaller will have less bass carried and would sound like a bongo, where it just hits but that's it. And what about the bigger box?

Ok, go 8)

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
Search online for the differences between sealed and ported boxes and get the one that alters the sound in the way that you prefer.
They each have a different effect on the sound sharpness among other things but I can't recall off the top of my head.

Sealed boxes are much easier to make and I have made a few in the past, one was with extra wood and silicon so only investment was a box of screws.
The other was for a 12" MTX Thunder 5500 that went into my cousins regular cab Ranger. Pain in the ass to build but finally got it to fit behind the seats pretty well and internal volume is a decent size.

5.5" is pretty small, you will probably have to mount the sub with the magnet outside the box.

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
Get the box that is closest to the space the manufacture recommended.

What amp are you using?
Sound Ordinance M-1500 mono amp from crutchfield. Its perfect for the sub. The only con that is a concern, is the heat doesn't displace from the amp very well and it overheats. Hopefully in WA, it wont effect it as much.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zGS32v8e2UX/p_777M1500/Sound-Ordnance-M-1500.html

Search online for the differences between sealed and ported boxes and get the one that alters the sound in the way that you prefer.
They each have a different effect on the sound sharpness among other things but I can't recall off the top of my head.

Sealed boxes are much easier to make and I have made a few in the past, one was with extra wood and silicon so only investment was a box of screws.
The other was for a 12" MTX Thunder 5500 that went into my cousins regular cab Ranger. Pain in the ass to build but finally got it to fit behind the seats pretty well and internal volume is a decent size.

5.5" is pretty small, you will probably have to mount the sub with the magnet outside the box.
Im not going to get the 5.5" since it wont be to my liking.
thanks for the tip

Last edited:

SoundEfx

Don't underestimate how hot those amps get. If it suffers from heating issues, don't put it under your seat.

Also, keep in mind that that there are various aspects that go into the bass frequency you want to output.

Box size, your LPF on the amp and it's efficiency.

It's fairly easy to be loud, but it's harder to be loud and sound good.

Ryan659

And don't be one of those people where you can hear the rattle of the car more than the base itself.

Swerve

Shawn
I got a sound gold ported 10 in box for dc coupe and put in the back with a 800w amp. Nice tight bass, hit plenty hard but wasn't over bearing or ridiculous, not much need for a larger setup really.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
A sealed box plays the low bass louder than ported. A sealed box plays overall more accurate bass than ported. A ported box will play louder than a sealed box, wattage being equal. A ported box will "kick" harder than sealed, like a bass drum strike.