how hard is it to install a complete coil over system?

alcoholic

soon to get eighter a tanabe sustec coil over or a hayame coil over sytem for my car. i wonder is this something i can do myself or should i get the pros do it. oviously just the install end of it... alignment i'll get a shop to do it after i drop it 1.55 in the front and 1.5 in the back. any help would be nice thx

Baldy201

a full coil over system is quite possibly the easist thing you could do on your car. there are like 5 bolts total on each shock and are a peice of cake. The only problem is getting the LCA bolt out of the back. I have not met someone who has succesfully got it our with our going to drastic measures, IE cutting the shock out, using a torch, or replaceing the LCA all together. Other than that it is really easy, just a little time consuming. Good luck on the Install

alcoholic

ohh yea what kind of tools do i need
how long you think it will take to do this... (remember iam a noob)

Baldy201

Just a basic socket set is what you will need. Time wise, it is hard to tell. when i jsut did springs it took like 6 hours. But since you dont have to swap out any springs and just replace the whole assembly, i would guess about the same amount of time. Remember that the Rears are going to give you the most trouble.

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
Originally posted by "Baldy201"

a full coil over system is quite possibly the easist thing you could do on your car. there are like 5 bolts total on each shock and are a peice of cake. The only problem is getting the LCA bolt out of the back. I have not met someone who has succesfully got it our with our going to drastic measures, IE cutting the shock out, using a torch, or replaceing the LCA all together. Other than that it is really easy, just a little time consuming. Good luck on the Install
i took out my rear LCA bolts no problem when i installed my suspension. i must be a lucky one

hyper98gsr

a haynes manual should have been the fist thing you ever bought for your car. it answers all "noob" questions. i have like 7 or 8 different haynes manuals. lol

Baldy201

haynes suck dont get haynes. get helms manual. they are more expensive but are well worth the extra money. haynes has wrong info, and doesnt not tell you how to repair things it tells you how to take it off.
Haynes is a full disassembly guide. Helms is a repair manual.

mist3r Lin

True coils are easy to get on.
If you were planning on matching shocks/springs... you might have a bit more trouble.
Get a Haynes manual.

mist3r Lin

Todd said:
i wouldnt expect you to say installing coilovers would be easy andrew ;)
It's not as though I wouldn't know how if I had had the right tools :)
Fuggin breaker bars and seized bolts...

Todd

token ex-mod
lowering my civic took about an hour and a half... and i got soooooooooooo dirty... it was fun :D

mist3r Lin

Todd said:
lowering my civic took about an hour and a half... and i got soooooooooooo dirty... it was fun :D
Well, both Isaac and I got plenty dirty and we didn't even get the job done... grrrr.