how the FRICK do u get the center console off???

hadjie85

i finally got my wire harness for my stereo, but now i cant get the center console off to slide the piece of crap in there. i unscrewed the box on the e brake, and got it off, then went after the part of the console that holds the ash tray and the cig lighter, but i can only get it partially off. then the part of the console that actually holds the radio is screwed in in so many places i cant even see them all.

i know you guys cant tell me all the spots the console is screwed in at, but is there any easy way to install this stereo?

BTW i definitely DONT miss my grand prix when it comes to workin on it, esp compared to my gsr..... except for this dashboard bit. grr the pontiac's just popped off! i had my old stereo out and the new one in in like 3 mins! the gsr's is like freakin fort knox...

95teg

um i dont think u have to take off the console... i havent changed mine but i'm pretty sure u just slide the whole install kit into the space and it clicks in
...maybe wrong?

Baldy201

If you lay on the floor on the passenger side looking up under the dash. If you look into the back of the center console you will see the back of the deck. You may have too push some wires out of the way, dont worry you will not hurt them. There is one or 2 screws in the back of the deck and the push it out from the back and then, tada it is out.

hadjie85

no no no..... i have mine out already. in fact there was no head unit in the car when i bought it, it had been stolen. im tryin to get my head unit into the console. it has a flange around the outside of it and its too big to fit in there. i need to double check that the flange doesnt come off..... cuz if it does it would prob slide in there ok.

its a huge head unit, its a din and a half. but the hole in the dash is huge......i need a tv :twisted:

95teg

u may need another install kit.. ar you talking about a radio / cd / tape deck head unit? .... but the installs i have seen have only been for a cd player.. let me know

hadjie85

:???: i guess i havent explained it that well.... all i want to do is pull the dash off. specifically the part of the dash that frames the radio. i have to pull that off cuz my radio is too wide to slide right in past the dash board. i need to pull the dash off, slide the radio in, then put the dash back on.

basically what im askin is this: is there any easy way to get the dash around the radio off, or does it all come down to the screws and bolts?

hadjie85

screw it. i got the head unit in the dash (after i had taken the stereo partially apart :???: ) and its STILL too wide. it wont come out far enough for me to plug the face in. guess ill have to break down and buy a smaller head unit..... :(

eh he he anyone in the market for a Pioneer stereo with a detachable face, 140 watt built in amp, sub on/off switch, and car alarm??? CHEAP!!! :D

s2l

a pioneer head unit should be a standard DIN. It shouldnt be too wide. Why dont you take pictures of the car so we can see wtf you are talking about. :D

ca86108

nahhhh dude to get ur stock deck out u gotta buy KEYS. they are cd player keys, u slide them into the side of the deck and it slides it out. u need those keys u can buy them at any store for like 3 bucks

hadjie85

ca86108 said:
nahhhh dude to get ur stock deck out u gotta buy KEYS. they are cd player keys, u slide them into the side of the deck and it slides it out. u need those keys u can buy them at any store for like 3 bucks
dude. there is no head unit in the dashboard. i said that in an earlier post. the bose stereo that was in there was stolen before i even got the car. so i dont think i need those keys. thanks tho. :)

s2l said:
a pioneer head unit should be a standard DIN. It shouldnt be too wide. Why dont you take pictures of the car so we can see wtf you are talking about. :D
haha no not all pioneer head units are a standard DIN. and it IS too wide. i even tried takin the stereo apart and putting it in the dash and rebuilding it in there, but to no avail. the head unit wouldnt slide forward far enough to clip the face on. trust me, if it was possible to get it in there without slicing the dash, i would have had it in there already.

no worries tho, fellas. friday i go to get my new stereo! built in mp3 player, 3D display, the works -- all in a single DIN unit that wont be a bee-otch to install. :lol:

wildest5

just keep working on it it is a bit#h to get those screw out of there there is only 2 and they are on the back right and back left of the deck once you get those screws out the deck will slip out. That is one of the few things that suck on the integras every year has this setup and there is no easy way around it you have to lay on the floor and reach your hand up there to get it out. :evil:

95teg

ok now to my question and well i thought i had this right.. my cd player kit is broken.. now thats not something factory is it.. i can just go buy an install kit correct? the ones i have seen have been with a kit.. the only reason i ask is.. i cant find one?? so when i get on it, my ENTIRE cd bezel and everything flys out..its sort of a bitch to get back in when ur getting on the highway in traffic..err..

injen

you need a car deck installation kit for aftermarket stereo systems, it will stick out a bit cuz its suppose to be like that i guess, cuz mine is was like that until it got stolen now i got my stock stereo back in and that goes all the way in perfectly

Last edited: