How To Change Your B18 Head Gasket V2.0

Prozon

Kris
Prozon, this write up is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

I just learned today my head gasket is done and needs to be swapped. How similar is this process for B18C1?

Might be a long shot, but I'm also in WA state. Any chance you'd be interested in sharing your expertise in person? This job is admittedly somewhat over my head, and it would really suck to break my daily driver.
I'm about 15 miles south of Olympia. Feel like taking your car to me? Haha. PM is easier if you're trying to get in contact with me, I don't log in much anymore.

You can handle it no problem, I have confidence in you! Lol.

would anything go wrong if you rearrange the rockers like put them back not in there original order?????
You can mess up the order- however you will NEED to do a valve lash adjustment when you finish the job. (You should do it regardless if you mix up the rockers anyways.)

Damn this is perfect. Now I just need a how to replace your piston rings and valve seals :???:
As they require a "little" more knowledge and a couple special tools, I don't feel I should encourage too many people to attempt it lol. But hell, next time I slap a Honda motor together I'll take some pictures. ;)

Nice write up man. I have been using it remove mine; but I am having a tough time with the crankshaft pulley. Did you use a strap or chain wrench? I've tried both and I just can't seem to get it loose. Anyway; again, nice write up. Its helping me a lot... Update - I borrowed the crankpulley tool from O'reilly's and this thing is "ON THERE!" like it wasn't meant to ever come off. Does anyone have any ideas?
I didn't need to use any tools to hold it, my impact gun pulled it right off.

this reminds me of how gay and blue your engine was
Alas, Integra V2.0 will be bigger, better, more power, less blue. Just for you.

To address the problem with the missing pictures:
The pictures are off my Facebook account and somewhere along the line the links for the pictures changed. This also apparently killed a lot of my build threads. I will re-do the pictures when I get a free hour. -_-

Rich W

Thanks Prozon for this post. I read and reread this post several times and got it all in my mind on what I had to do for this job.
I replaced the headgasket, timing belt, water pump, and the tensioner pulley. I got all the parts at Bap-Geon. It all went well and my Integra is back at 100%. A couple little things that I had issues with that I would like to add :
1. Oil in the head bolt holes. When I lifted off the head I got some engine oil in the head bolt holes. I didn't notice it until I was putting the head bolts back in. When I was loosely putting the bolts back in they got a pneumatic feeling of the oil in the holes leaking up slowly past the bolt threads. If the holes are more than half full of oil, the oil will squeese out the top and end up on the block mating surface and the headgasket. I took the head back off and there was oil in the gasket and the block. I cleaned them off well. I think that this would probably make the gasket not seal properly. I cleared them out by running the headbolts in and out several times, wiping them off until the holes were empty. I guess it could be done with a little hose or some shop-vac attachment but I think it is important for the holes to be empty.
2: Bosch Double Platinum plugs don't fit. I went to AutoZone and got some of them and a wire set because they had a $20 rebate. They sold me the plugs and wires that are supposed to go in the car.The plugs thread in and tighten up but they really aren't seated down because the threads of the plug are different. The spark from the plugs is then not in the combustion chamber as they should be but are actually up in the thread hole. When I took the plugs out I noticed that they were very tight difficult to get out and the threads on the plugs were messed up.I was able to run a thread chaser in the plug holes and they are fine now that I put in NGKs.
Again thanks for the post, It gave me the courage and knowhow to get the job done

Prozon

Kris
1. Oil in the head bolt holes. When I lifted off the head I got some engine oil in the head bolt holes. I didn't notice it until I was putting the head bolts back in. When I was loosely putting the bolts back in they got a pneumatic feeling of the oil in the holes leaking up slowly past the bolt threads.
I haven't had this issue to be honest. Typically when I pull the head the car hasn't been running recently, the oil has been drained and it's almost all out of the head so it can't get to the bolt holes. Although this does happen, I wouldn't think twice. Compressed air and a rag, or running the bolts in and out does the trick.

2: Bosch Double Platinum plugs don't fit.
Although that does seem like a pretty important point- I think that's more of a fail at the parts counter then anything. I swear against Bosch plugs anyways as I have had nothing but trouble with them. I run NGK's in everything I own.

On another note, I think I have all the pictures re-added that were removed. I have some of them uploaded to my Facebook account- at some point the links were changed. Hopefully it doesn't happen again, but if it does I suppose I'll just re-add them.

Anyways, if anyone has any questions just send me a PM.

Last edited:

jayyjayy88

Hey bro I'm about to get my head gasket replaced in a week or so from a friend. You said doing a head rebuilt so I won't have to worry about it again. What parts do i need? I've never done this or know anything so he's going to help me.