How To Change Your B18 Head Gasket V2.0

dbryder

is this hard to do? i'm guessing it takes time and patience, but it's important to keep a fresh gasket

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
I've done it a couple times now. I can pull the head in like an hour and a Half or two. Going slow. On my own. Just remember to reconnect everything and then torque properly.

Prozon

Kris
What Mitch said. This is my first Honda, so this was my first time doing a B18 head gasket. I'm just one helluva do-it-yourselfer with plenty of other motors under my belt. I just tried to make the write up as clear as possible for anyone else interested in doing it themselves and saving some cash.

Charleetuner

Nice write up man. I have been using it remove mine; but I am having a tough time with the crankshaft pulley. Did you use a strap or chain wrench? I've tried both and I just can't seem to get it loose. Anyway; again, nice write up. Its helping me a lot... Update - I borrowed the crankpulley tool from O'reilly's and this thing is "ON THERE!" like it wasn't meant to ever come off. Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

phoboi

This is a really good example, but i got a question; some people says that when replacing the head gasket "i should get it resurface or something like that" is that necessary or can i just use a blade to clear out the old gasket then place in the new one

Charleetuner

You should at least get it looked at by a machinist and have it milled if its warped; otherwise, a new gasket is pointless. I would think the same goes for the block. But if I am correct; a block can be trued without taking it out.

Apollo

Prozon, this write up is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

I just learned today my head gasket is done and needs to be swapped. How similar is this process for B18C1?

Might be a long shot, but I'm also in WA state. Any chance you'd be interested in sharing your expertise in person? This job is admittedly somewhat over my head, and it would really suck to break my daily driver.