How to clutchless shift

Prozon

Kris
I was hoping this was a "How To" article lol. My dad can do it, but he's been driving trucks and such longer than most of you (If not all of you.) have been alive lol.

Like Tam said, there's just a certain RPM it will work well at. I have not figured it out, and i'm not about to try it.

BambinoGS

Anti-Ricer
I have successfully done multiple clutchless shifts on my car without any gear grinding. The rpm range I do it at is: 4k - pop out of current gear, sit in neutral, let rpm die to 3.5k then push against the "wall" of the gear you want to shift into, push fairly hard and firmly then at 3k rpm it will pop right in. I've gone from 1st to 4th using this method. I don't recommend it but it could be useful.

I am not responsible for you shearing your gears.

Prozon

Kris
So find a buddy's car to practice in lol.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
You have to have perfect rev-matching for it to engage without grinding. Many years back, I drove my car home 75 miles without a clutch when my master cylinder went out at the beach without a problem. Just had to avoid coming to a complete stop :lol:

michaelz

yes it can be done but the chance of a successful shift makes it not worthwhile.

if you screw up you will grind gears / wear your syncros... only do it as a last resort to limp home.

i saw Nakaya race a R34 GTR without the clutch on a Best Motoring battle but he still came last. mad respect watching him braking into a corner from full throttle and insanely blipping and slamming the gears hoping to get it down a gear. he didn't own the car of course so why the hell not.

Joshmmc

If perfected, it makes for a cool trick, but doesn`t serve that much of a purpose. You`ll spend a long while applying unnecessary wear and tear, and people don`t appreciate it enough even when you can do it. It doesn`t have much of a practical use in any kind of racing or street driving. The extra necessary delays and mental strain to make it work during racing nullifies it`s benefit, and on the street, you could argue that doing it may preserve clutch life, but you`ll go through 3 transmissions mastering it, and even then, you have to give it your full focus to do it reliably, so doing it while daily driving would get old.

By all means give it a shot though, it`s a neat feeling when you get it.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
ive successfully done it a couple times on accident, realized after i did it i forgot the clutch :lol:

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
i could successfully do it all the time.

rev up to at least 4k. while your climbing the rps, put some pressure to the next gear you want to go in towhile still in that gear. when you hit 4k, take your foot off the gas. youll feel it come out of gear. while still puttung quite a bit of pressure into the next gear, itll slide right in when it drops from 4k to 3k.

and just keep doing that thru the gears.

happy shifting.

Prozon

Kris
If perfected, it makes for a cool trick, but doesn`t serve that much of a purpose. You`ll spend a long while applying unnecessary wear and tear, and people don`t appreciate it enough even when you can do it. It doesn`t have much of a practical use in any kind of racing or street driving. The extra necessary delays and mental strain to make it work during racing nullifies it`s benefit, and on the street, you could argue that doing it may preserve clutch life, but you`ll go through 3 transmissions mastering it, and even then, you have to give it your full focus to do it reliably, so doing it while daily driving would get old.

By all means give it a shot though, it`s a neat feeling when you get it.
That's a lot of negative words for "Give it a shot." lol.

I think it would be handy to know how to do in-case you lose a clutch 70 miles from home lol.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
I think it would be handy to know how to do in-case you lose a clutch 70 miles from home lol.
Well if your clutch just completely shits out, it's not going to help you. The clutch will just slip. But in an instance such as mine, it worked out because the clutch was still maintaining engagement without slipping, it just would disengage so it was a tricky and long drive home.