How to shave JDM front bumper?

AlphaWolf1993

I seem to find plenty of finished products, but no real write up, or even mention of how to shave a JDM front bumper for the DC. In specific I'm looking at eliminating the horribly puffed out license plate frame. My only issue is I'm fairly unsure of the possibility with the stock plastic to be "transformed" and the only thing I can think is to shave it down (ie: removing the boxed off part) and molding fiberglass, but I'm pretty sure it's a horrible idea lol. Anyone got an idea on how to?

mirrorimg

Fiberglass should be fine. You arent getting any flex there, unless you bump into something pretty good. And if you did that, unless you plastic-welded some ABS or plastic from another bumper, youre going to get some cracking no matter what you used.

You may be able to cut the square off, then use it to fill the hole and put filler/glass on top of it. Im not sure exactly how thick it is, but you potentially (after cutting it and sinking it in) sand it to match the contour of the bumper then use a light skim of filler to get rid of imperfections.

AlphaWolf1993

So probably start with a plastic welder and use the license plate holder? That's worth a shot and sounds about right, and gives me a reason to buy another little tool :D

AlphaWolf1993

Just an update. Cut the box off and trimmed it down to just the front face/rectangle. used a plastic welder and it's in there and the edges sanded down for now. Shape is coming out really good and it's getting easier to work on as I get further (nothing more stressful than thinking you're destroying a perfectly good JDM bumper). Gonna start fiberglassing tomorrow or next day and sand that out to the right curve.

XjoEnX

Dopematic did this to his JDM bumper. Look up his thread or send him a message. He might be able to give you some pointers.

fliptrick123

Cascade Honda Crew
I seem to find plenty of finished products, but no real write up, or even mention of how to shave a JDM front bumper for the DC. In specific I'm looking at eliminating the horribly puffed out license plate frame. My only issue is I'm fairly unsure of the possibility with the stock plastic to be "transformed" and the only thing I can think is to shave it down (ie: removing the boxed off part) and molding fiberglass, but I'm pretty sure it's a horrible idea lol. Anyone got an idea on how to?
fiberglass is what i did :D

AlphaWolf1993

I think I'm gonna go fiberglass route for the shaping since I don't have lots of polyurethane laying around, but basically he said he cut the box off and fitted it to where it conformed with the bumper and plastic welded, then used scrap from another bumper to add reinforcment, and finished it up with body filler to shape it out. Seems like I'm at least on track. Gonna pick up more fiberglass and get working again. And hopefully remember to take pics, at least from where I am now

fliptrick123

Cascade Honda Crew
I think I'm gonna go fiberglass route for the shaping since I don't have lots of polyurethane laying around, but basically he said he cut the box off and fitted it to where it conformed with the bumper and plastic welded, then used scrap from another bumper to add reinforcment, and finished it up with body filler to shape it out. Seems like I'm at least on track. Gonna pick up more fiberglass and get working again. And hopefully remember to take pics, at least from where I am now
ya he knows what hes doing thats what i did and it turnned out looking normal

AlphaWolf1993

So I had forgotten pics as I shaved the box off, but as I said before, I just cut the square out and ground down the curve and then used plastic welder to reinsert the square into the bumper. I left the edges like this before the fiberglassing:

Then I went around the edges first to make sure the bottom layer was strongest and so the edges were firm:

And then my subsequent layers thus far that I'm laying down large enough so that I can shave the excess and contour the front

Excuse the mess lol. After this last layer dries, i'm gonna clean it up a little and probably lay down another layer on the back side of the bumper to make sure the entire square that was plastic welded is reinforced. I am by no means skilled, so I know it doesn't look perfect, but I'm taking my time and it's too late to go back now lol

AlphaWolf1993

Hey guys, just wanted to put the result, it was sanded and a little tiny bit of bonds smoothed it nicely. Will update again with paint... If my paint guy ever gets to it!

Sent from my refrigerator