Hp & TQ

slikk

Money Getter
can someone explain the difference between torque and horse power in terms of what is resuired to "go fast" ; from launch to top speed.

DownShift96GSR

an easy explanation is TQ is what gets you going and HP is what gets you there........You can have all the horsepower in the world, but if you don't have good TQ, its almost worthless. Trucks have a lot of TQ because they haul stuff and need more strength to get up and move, cars have more HP than TQ because the weight is so low that not a lot of TQ is needed.

Think of sprinting for example. When runners shoot out from the blocks in track, that is their TQ. Theoretically speaking the quicker a runner can get out of the blocks, the more "TQ" he/she has.

Does that make sense?

DownShift96GSR

Another analogy to the HP/TQ is the sport football. Think about it, the lineman have strength (TQ) to move another 300lbs along with their own 300lbs, but they don't have speed (lack HP). Fullbacks and running backs and wide recievers have a good combo of both. 1) they run the ball so they need speed (HP) 2) they also block so they need strength (TQ) to hold off the defender.

I'm knowledgable when it comes to cars, but I'm not saying that everything I say is 100% correct. If anyone else can explain it better or give a better analogy, please do. Unitl then, PEACE!!!!

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
HP is derived from torque, its just a mathmatical equation

HP = TQ x RPM/5252

therefore:

say youve got 100 ft lbs at 5000rpm

HP = 100 x 5000/5252
that means you have 95 HP at 5k rpm

say youve got the same 100 ft lbs at 8000

HP = 100 x 8000/5252
youve got yourself 150hp

HP and Torque will ALWAYS be equal at 5252 rpms....

anyways, i have no clear distinction on how to claddify what torque is and horsepower. i think of it this way...

i like torque, torque makes me happy. i want more torque, i get more HP when i get more torque...

anyways, another way i heard of it is..

HP is how hard you hit a wall, Torque is how far you go through the wall.

EDIT: Sorry for Rambling :lol:

Baldy201

TQ is what moves the car. HP is just another number to boost egos. you can have 500 peak HP and a 200hp car can still beat you. It is all about TQ. when you look at a Dyno graph HP doesnt really mean anything. my latest Dyno graph.

I dont have a lot of HP but i have better low to mid range TQ than a GSR. I can keep up with GSR's pretty easily. So when building an engine you should look for a smooth torque curve, not so much like mine.