Idle problem when cold

quickmr2

Hi Folks!
I was wondering if you guys can help me. My Wife has a 1994 Ls and when she starts it and it is cold, it keeps bouncing from like 1200 RPM to 2000 RPM and I am not sure why, After it is warm though it does not do it. What do I need to do to fix this, has anyone had this happen to them? Thanks everyone. Also it feels like it jerks when it down shifts, It is an automatic. Thanks Again.

Richard M

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
hi richard! welcome to the site!

hondas/acuras are known to downshift like that in an automatic. my wife's civic is the same way. when was the last time the transmission fluid changed?

as for the idle, try replacing the small stuff. when was the last time you did a tune-up?

check/replace the following
-spark plugs
-spark plug wires
-distributor cap and rotor
-fuel filter

you wouldnt spent more than about 80 bucks. the most expensive item would probably be the fuel filter or the wires.
-air filter

j13

Keep It Clean
Do you have a CEL? (Check Engine Light)

quickmr2

Thank you for your timely response, we actually just bought this car like a month ago. The tune up was not that long ago, he was showing me all the receipts for it. There is no Check engine light so I cant scan it so I am a little puzzled. Thanks for your help though.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
maybe an o2 sensor is burnt out and the previous owner cleared the code before he sold it. if it is, the CEL will come back in a while.