Idle surge when fans turn on!

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
Okay so ive had this problem for a while and didnt have time to fix it til now. I have a B20 swap and when my fans turn on or when i use my power windows, my idle increases. It jumps to about a little under 1k from 750rpm. Im thinking its a dirty ground wire or something to do with my alternator. Im gonna check my grounds tomorrow but i wanna know everybody else's suggestions and advice. Thanks in advance!

TheCrimsonStar

Are we talking radiator or condenser fan? Mine does it with the condenser and I'm pretty sure it does it with the radiator fan too. Like ramatan said, increased power draw from the alternator causes the idle to go up to spin the alternator faster.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

98GS

Mine go up when I turn my ac on

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
I was thinking its the alternator too, its really annoying cause my car shakes a little more when my fans turn on. Is there any way to like get a bigger alternator or something so it doesn't surge? oh i and i have no a/c!

TheCrimsonStar

I was thinking its the alternator too, its really annoying cause my car shakes a little more when my fans turn on. Is there any way to like get a bigger alternator or something so it doesn't surge? oh i and i have no a/c!
The shake thing scares me sometimes lol. I'm pretty sure the idle surge is computer controlled so getting a bigger alternator won't do anything.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
I guess I just have to live with it then lol. Thanks for the help guys.

Rattlecan Hero

Frame Banger
That's completley normal. It's just the alternator trying to compinsate for the load being put on the motor. Nothing to worry about bro.