i'm lost????

daddy

newguy
Ok i have a b18b1 and its in like brand new condition. Ive taken it apart (completely). Its all done to specs i went off s a designs " how to rebuild a honda b series engine". I want as much horsepower as i can get for my dollar. Though i want it to last and it is a dd. I only have about 1000$. I wanted to rebuild my motor but to get real gains (from what ive read) you have to spend a great deal with this motor. Then i researched turbo and unless you have a pro your paying alot its not so dependable. That leaves me with a swap. I was considering selling my motor for parts or as a whole how ever u guys think i would make more money and swap the h22a. Only b/c of the displacement did i go with this swap decision. But from what ive read its so much heavier it throws the car off balance. But its the most power for its money. When i bought this car it had a freshley swaped completly rebuilt stock b18b1. So thats the wiring situation. Im still new and i have invested alot of time into learning about my car ( 93ls ) and alot of different motors. I just dont have a very big budget and i want some sort of significant gain. I personally prefer n/a but all advice is appreciated. Any advice actually. Thanks alot guys. Coreyd

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
did u make another thread? i already talked to u about this....

rpalma001

Um am i understanding this right u had a perfectly good b18b and u took it apart before u did research on what u could do to it? You should have just done the whole ls/vtec that everyone does or machined the head resurfaced port and polished it.oh well whats done is done if u do the whole H deal just up the front suspension abit and to counter the wait , but its not much a difference anyways.

daddy

newguy
Yea tam i pushed the button twice. u had a perfectly good b18b and u took it apart before u did research on what u could do to it? I had a loose head bolt and i had ideas as i went along. But G2 was right i gonna buy like a b16a2 install it and take my time building my b18 with the turbo. I want it to be done right and i want every thing top of the line. I found the b16 for 890$ on JDM land. i can add the starter, clutch, flywheel and Hydraulic manual transmission for 600$ I dont know if that is a good deal but im really considering it. That way i would have a car to get around in and still buy the parts i really want to build my motor. But thanks alot for everyones response. By the way if anyone knows a good source to buy a motor with tranny let me know.... OH! and one more thing i did alot of research an after im tired of the ls turbo im gonna take the b16, ill still own and do the ls vtec Frankenstein. Thats just a lil out of my price range considering i need transpertation now. But ive been really interested in that particular build since its so hard to get huge gains out of my ls

DumaDa9

if you're swapping in a b16 motor with your ls transmission you're not going anywhere, your car will have vtec and be loud, but probably slower

Mildsquare

From the bay to LV
if you're swapping in a b16 motor with your ls transmission you're not going anywhere, your car will have vtec and be loud, but probably slower
x2.. it will be slower, no tq and tall gears make for a long time before vtec kicks in.

don't bother with the b16, if you can slap your motor together and it runs, i'd say leave it alone, then go to a junkyard and rip out another b18a1 or even a b18b and build it up while you have something to drive. it will save you time and money in the long run, if the motor is no longer an option, then get the b16. my 2 cents.

Mildsquare

From the bay to LV
idk about slower, but the car with a b16 won't be as fast as it would be if it had a short geared tranny.

don't bother with the b16, if you can slap your motor together and it runs, i'd say leave it alone, then go to a junkyard and rip out another b18a1 or even a b18b and build it up while you have something to drive. it will save you time and money in the long run, if the motor is no longer an option, then get the b16. my 2 cents.

DumaDa9

well if you want to have a car that is more fun to drive without spending alot, try to find a b16 cable trans, get that, alot cheaper than a b16 motor, trust me, your ls with a b16 trans will easily smoke a b16 with an ls trans. Part of the reason why your ls doesnt feel that fast is because of the long ass gearing on the stocks transmission

Edit: i just picked up a jdm b20b and a ys1 gsr cable transmission for less than $1,000. Im willing to bet it would walk a da with a complete b16 swap

sexystover

well if you want to have a car that is more fun to drive without spending alot, try to find a b16 cable trans, get that, alot cheaper than a b16 motor, trust me, your ls with a b16 trans will easily smoke a b16 with an ls trans. Part of the reason why your ls doesnt feel that fast is because of the long ass gearing on the stocks transmission

Edit: i just picked up a jdm b20b and a ys1 gsr cable transmission for less than $1,000. Im willing to bet it would walk a da with a complete b16 swap
and you would win that bet. my DA is a b20b swap. ys1 with lsd and P8R head and on a bad tune i keep up with b16s so if its on a good tune u will win no problem. the B20 is a torque monster compared to b16

cripemaster

DO NOT DO B16. Honestly I say boost boost boost. I know plenty of people with boosted ls motors that run great times and are amazingly reliable even though it is a diy job in your garage. Just get a turbo from a g1 or g2 eclipse or talon and then get the rest of the stuff from ebay other than the waste gate. Don't get an ebay waste gate. You could easily turbo for like 1100 bucks.

94dc4

My name matches again lol
i say boost your stock ls engine, thats what i would do
thats what i did :)
That's what both of y'all did, lol

I say grab an H22 and build it up. That's what me and my buddy plan to do with our cars. Haven't decided yet because I like a/c and power steering, and I think one of them has to go. No matter what, you gotta pay to play. Look at Tam4511's sig.

And leave the B16A to Civics and DA6's. Put a B18C or K20A2 in that bitch if you're worried about the few extra pounds from an H22.

And a shorter geared transmission with a non-VTEC motor might be fun, but I heard gas mileage suffers on the highway, lol