Installing aftermarket speakers, tips please

MattLaBonte

So tomorrow my MB Quarts come in and I'm installing em later in the day. I know how to take of the door panel but was curious of any tips that I should look for when taking off the panel. Also is the install usually the same for all cars? Which wire would be the negative and positive on the car to hook up on my new speakers? Any help is appreciated, thanks

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
^^This.
And just be sure that when mounting aftermarket speakers you leave enough room for the windows to roll down..

MattLaBonte

Would that mean possibly creating a spacer for the speakers? And if so how could I do that?

MattLaBonte

More or less, is this going to be a direct bolt on and hook up or am I going to require to create a template for a spacer and weather strip and such things as that? thanks!

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
whats the size of the speaker? if they're oem size, you could reuse that black basket thats in there

i, for one, used 6.5 shallow mounts in the doors and i just took the basket off, put some 3m double sided foam tape on the mating surfaces, and use self-tapping screws to mount the speaker.

you could just use washers behind the speaker to space em out if needed

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
For your woofers, you can just use the factory plastic mounts that come with your car, and with a bit of fabricating, (that shouldnt take more than 5 minutes, cutting off excess parts in the way of getting your speakers to fit in the mount), it should fit directly in if you double check things. It pretty much is bolt on if you do it right. 8)

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
You may need to build a spacer out of MDF wood if the window hits the back of the speaker. You don't want to use wahers to move the speaker out, it'll kill the sound quality of the speaker. Ideally you want the speaker mounted completely flat to a surface with no spaces.
I put 5.25's in my doors and built spacers for them:

I painted them with Kilz because the first set of spacers I built got wet and grew mold and expanded and turned into a big old mess. You can get a huge piece of 1/4 inch thick MDF at Home Depor for $4. Then all yopu need is a jigsaw and a drill, drill bits to drill pilot holes. And you'll want to paint them so they don't rot.

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Wish i had taken pics to show you... either way good luck!! keeps us updated if anything comes up!

99Integrags

When I did my speakers I didnt even take off the door panels and just used the stock mounts. For the rears you do need to remove the panel.

blue94teg

i believe that the passenger side is blue for negative and the drivers side is brown. i will look tomorrow morning and post on here but im almost positive thats what it is.

MattLaBonte

Its cool bro I got em installed fine. I did remove the door panel though. Reversed the grill for the front speakers as a spacer. Hooked up those up front and the connection was mad simple because the speakers were redone before so it was just positive and negative hookups. The backs I took off the panel up top so I could mount the speakers in as I don't need any spacers for the back. Sadly as I was getting ready to install the second set I found that a tweeter was broken so the new ones will come in next week. Wish I had an amp to power em though. Distortion at high volumes suck but they sound 100 times better surround sound so to speak as my rears were blown and stock from 15 years ago haha.

blue94teg

lmfao dude go to best buy and buy a little 450 watt amp for like 100 bucks and boom crystal clear i dont have that problem i have an 1800 watt kicker powering two rf p3's and a 1200 powering my infinity speakers shts loud lmao but glad to hear yours is better