Intake really make a difference?

maluskeeter

I know you guys have probably already talked about this, but does intake really make a difference on a car??... Especially if the car already has a muffler on it? And considering the price is intake still worth it??

Im just serious contemplating spending some serious money on intake for a 99 integ...need some tips yo...

withemptyeyes

you'll notice a 2-3HP gain in your 99 integra GRANTED your motor is in excellent condition, the intake is quality, and the muffler you aready have is not some 5in $80 weld on coffee can. less restrictive air intakes become more effective when the amount of air being passed through them is significantly increased. basically, more air = more fuel = more power. therefore, the small gain in air flow from a ram air intake results in only a small gain in power.

MoJoJoJo

Banned
actual gains? i cant tell you, i dont even know wat kind of gains i get with my intake. i have to dyno it. dyno my car before and after w/ intake. and that would just be a big waste of my time. but you feel good throttle response, like i did with my car. but i cant say "All Intakes" are the same. some might think its just a pipe and a filter. but invest your money in a good product. i always go to qaulity, i dont wanna end up replacing it later on or have problems w/ my engine due to poor intake

EclecticTeg21

actually, the "ebay intakes" have been used and made the same gains as the more quality AEM or injen for example. its not so much as the piping, as long as its smooth and mandrel bent. the filter plays the biggest part.

maluskeeter

whatd you mean by "ebay intakes"...if i get an aem v2 air intake off of ebay is it different than the original or somethin?

EclecticTeg21

nooo lol sorry for the confusion. by ebay intakes, i mean the no name brand, 40 dollar intakes. if you get an aem v2 off of ebay, its the real thing. that is, if its a real AEM

MoJoJoJo

Banned
i doubt a 40 dollar no brand intake will out perform a brand name intake such as AEM or Injen. for example, the material it is made of, all itnakes will get hot. and the brand name, more expensive intakes have thought bout that and made their products a lil bit more heat resistence than a no name brand. not saying it wont heat up, just deals with the heat better, (wont get hot as quick, or can perform well under stress. ) and one of the more important reasons, is the legal factor. i doubt it will be carb legal.

01cleatus

MoJoJoJo said:
i doubt a 40 dollar no brand intake will out perform a brand name intake such as AEM or Injen. for example, the material it is made of, all itnakes will get hot. and the brand name, more expensive intakes have thought bout that and made their products a lil bit more heat resistence than a no name brand. not saying it wont heat up, just deals with the heat better, (wont get hot as quick, or can perform well under stress. ) and one of the more important reasons, is the legal factor. i doubt it will be carb legal.
Your right most of them won't have the sticker or verification that it is carb leagl but think about this. AEM and Injen spent so much money in making an intake to perform at the highest quality and had to do many tests to make the best product. With the right bends, materials, and etc. All these small companies have to do is buy one of the AEM or Injen type intakes look at it copy it and just sell it under their name. So the big companies did all the work to get the kinks out of the way to make the best product and the little companies just copy it. I don't think there would be a difference and if there is it would be minimal. I think it is all due to the filter. So in my opinion buy a 40 intake and spend like 30 on a good filter and save like 100+ bucks. Plus the big companies probably cost so much because they have to pay for the research and time they put into make the product and then to have each product then go for a test to be "smog approved'. I don't know though I amy be wrong.

MoJoJoJo

Banned
well thats pretty much cheating off other people's work. i guess its just me, i want good stuff for my car, i dont wanna settle for less. and give credit to the ppl that spent so much time on it. yea it cost a alot more, but i kno i got the real stuff.

maluskeeter

I will probably end up getting a aem v2 cold air intake for my 99 Integra LS, do you think thats the best i can get for my car??

DC2_Project

you will not notice a big gain with just an intake but combine that with headers and exhaust and you should see a diference. still though intakes sound nice as hell and its better for your engine to get some air

MoJoJoJo

Banned
one thing you can feel, is better throttle response, i dunno if any of you drove a stock rsx before, its killer trying to get it up to speed. the pedal feels heavy. but when i put my v2 in, it felt better.

maluskeeter

thanks guys, yall are awesome..i already got a muffler on the integ, but how can i get the whole exhaust now like to widen my pipes...i heard of something called "glass pipes", anyone know anything about that?...anywas, i was probably gonna get a intake then go along with the headers...i know headers increase HP up to 12 and widens efficiency but what else is it capable of, and what exactly is the purpose of an intake manifold?...

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
I've never heard of "glass pipes".
Integra's have only one header, V8's have headers, 4 bangers-one header.
A header won't produce up to 12 HP by itself, it can help hit that number teamed up with a properly sized intake and a properly sized exhaust, but it won't do it on its own.
Aftermarket intake manifold's are bigger than the stock IM, allowing more air to enter the combustion chamber than a stock piece will allow. Because of the huge amount of air they allow to pass through them, they are only for moderate to extreme NA applications. Getting one for a car that only has, for example, I/H/E will kill your low end and midrange power in exchange for very small (if any) HP in the upper rpm's. You will be slower overall.

As for you origional question, heck yeah its worth it. You'll definitley fell an increase in throttle response and power, even on a car that's otherwise stock. And honestly, I'm sorry to say, putting an aftermarket muffler onto a stock exhaust system isn't doing a whole lot for you, maybe a 1HP bump here and there, maybe even 2HP up near redline, but that's being optomistic. I guess it depends on if your new muffler is a straight through or a chambered design. Most people get one just for the sound/look of it, not for a HP increase.
The stock intake has many sharp bend, resonance chambers and a filter that has very poor airflow ability. Aftermarket intakes eliminate the sharp bends, resonance chambers and use an aftermarket filter that has excellent airflow ability.