is it the head gasket?

eddie p

i didnt really pay attention to this so i dont know how long ive been driving the car with these symptoms till monday when i got home from school i smelled antifreeze and when i opened the hood the top radiator hose which is 2 months old was rock hard i could not squeeze it. the day before that i replaced the radiator cap with one i got at autozone 1.1 bar the one it had before was 0.9 so yesterday i went back and got a 0.9 bar radiator cap thinking it was that but it didnt solve anything. i tried burping the cooling system and the tiny bubbles never stopped are those bubles causing the high pressure are those bubblesfrom the combustion chamber? or where both caps bad? somebody told me it could be the thermostat so i took that off but its still the same. another thing is that when i turn the car on when its cold the car will fire up for a split second and shut off then start it again, but it runs really rough like its not firing on a cy. After running for 15-20 seconds it will run normal. other times when i turn the car on the rpm will be really low. this happened since i got the car but now that im having this problem im noticing that its happening more. i drive about 35 miles to school so after monday ive been driving my sisters car because i dont want to get stranded on the freeway but i want to drive my car so give me your opinions . ive put 10k miles since i got i think its been real good to me so i want to get this fixed. there is no oil and antifreeze mixing and thers is no smoke coming from the exhaust. please help me
95 ls

dlo253

And he posted in 3rd Gen forum..

enoch723

Yeah.. My bad, kind of obvious

Anyways though.. Have you put a new timing belt on recently? Could be a tooth of on one of the cams

Charleetuner

Check the easiest stuff first... Rad Temp Sensor, ECT switch, fans and relays, water in oil, oil in Rad, white smoke from exhaust, milky oil fill cap, Rad pressure test...etc. Trust me; I just went through changing out my entire cooling system only to find out it was just the ECT switch... Good Luck.

eddie p

so i took it to a shop and they checked for co2 in the radiator and they said it was not the head gasket so they told me to drive it that thers nothing wrong with it. so today i drove it again and the radiator cracked. how do i check if its the head gasket? i still think it has to be the head gasket.

BankiBoi

That's the easiest if oil was mixed, try pressure test. Fix the radiator and see if it still over heats

Posted by Thunderbolt using tapatalk

eddie p

the car never overheated i was concerned about the high pressure in the top radiator hose.

BankiBoi

Thermostat could be broken and air in your lines.

Posted by Thunderbolt using tapatalk

Last edited:

eddie p

just got done replacing the radiator. but the transmission hoses where so old they started leaking.

enoch723

Your radiator hose having high pressure has nothing to do with your head gasket. Your head gasket is either going to hold, or its not. Plain and simple. Change your thermostat.. Its simple and cheap and tends too lead to a lot of problems, especially with the radiator.

And have you checked the puke jug? If its empty or full, might cause some issues, don't think it would but you never know. Cover all the simple stuff first

Last edited: