Issues with A/C

Boxy

Hey guys,

So my A/C hasn't worked since I got the car, and my cousin (who I got the car from) could never figure out why either though it did work when he first had it. I filled up a can of coolant and the A/C blew relatively cold air for a bit (it was about 70ish outside that day, not too hot) and I figured it was working so I shut it off. Next day I head out and the A/C is blowing hot air again. I thought what the hell, must be a leak. But then on another cold day I just decided to let the car vent air from outside, and it was STILL hot air. Hotter than the outside air, I was baffled.

I decided to do a search on here, and someone with a similar problem had the issue of the climate controls not pulling the heatercore shut on the inside. I checked and my cable is perfectly tight and it seems that the heater core is indeed shut because I can't push it any further. So is it possible that the heater core isn't closing all the way on the engine bay side (if there is an engine side to it)? Or is it a different problem all together?

Also could someone provide me a picture of what the heater core shut off thing under the passenger dash should look like when its completely closed?

Thanks

mjones73

The temp control unit works a valve mounted on the firewall right behind the motor to control the coolant flow into the heater core, make sure it's moving when you slide the temp control back and forth.

NC3GTEG

Building Kick!
I'm having a similar problem except the control for Hot/Cold on my Climate Control moves freely as though it's not connected to whatever it should be to control if Hot or Cold air blows.. Right now I'm riding 2-55's @96° sweating like a pigster :(

prophetDB7

check under glovebox to see if the wire is connected. if your switch is moving freely, it probably came out there.

mdan9193

Mdan
Hey guys,

So my A/C hasn't worked since I got the car, and my cousin (who I got the car from) could never figure out why either though it did work when he first had it. I filled up a can of coolant and the A/C blew relatively cold air for a bit (it was about 70ish outside that day, not too hot) and I figured it was working so I shut it off. Next day I head out and the A/C is blowing hot air again. I thought what the hell, must be a leak. But then on another cold day I just decided to let the car vent air from outside, and it was STILL hot air. Hotter than the outside air, I was baffled.

I decided to do a search on here, and someone with a similar problem had the issue of the climate controls not pulling the heatercore shut on the inside. I checked and my cable is perfectly tight and it seems that the heater core is indeed shut because I can't push it any further. So is it possible that the heater core isn't closing all the way on the engine bay side (if there is an engine side to it)? Or is it a different problem all together?

Also could someone provide me a picture of what the heater core shut off thing under the passenger dash should look like when its completely closed?

Thanks
I have the EXACT same problem bro. It's killing me because I drive a lot for my job and it's extremely hot here in the central valley. I have like an icebox full of water bottles to get me by until I get this fixed lol. Shops charge an arm and a leg to diagnose ac problems..even when the climate is set to the left on cold cold air doesn't come through the vents at all, still hot.

milanoteg

Make sure the temp control level works, sometimes they break and get stuck on one side or the other. Yo[u should feel some resistance as you move it from one side to the other.

Boxy

The temp control unit works a valve mounted on the firewall right behind the motor to control the coolant flow into the heater core, make sure it's moving when you slide the temp control back and forth.
Oh so there is something on the engine side then? Sweet I'll check that out, maybe thats not opening and closing all the way. Thanks! I'll let you know if it works.

I have the EXACT same problem bro. It's killing me because I drive a lot for my job and it's extremely hot here in the central valley. I have like an icebox full of water bottles to get me by until I get this fixed lol. Shops charge an arm and a leg to diagnose ac problems..even when the climate is set to the left on cold cold air doesn't come through the vents at all, still hot.
Yeah it sucks when you get into your car after a long day of it being in the sun because it feels like 20 degrees hotter. I put mine on cold and warm air still comes out, yep!

Make sure the temp control level works, sometimes they break and get stuck on one side or the other. Yo[u should feel some resistance as you move it from one side to the other.
Yeah I do feel quite a bit of resistance so I'm assuming its fine on the interior part, gotta check the engine bay flow now.

Boxy

K sorry for the double post but I couldn't find anything like what you mentioned in the engine bay. Unless you're talking about the one under the passenger side dash, which I actually already said I checked in my original post. Could you provide a picture?

mjones73

Follow the heater hose where it comes out of the passenger side of the motor and goes behind it to the firewall, it goes to the valve which is connected to a rod coming through the firewall then there is a short hose from the valve to the heater core pipe sticking through the firewall. I'll try to find a pic of it.

Last edited:

Boxy

Follow the heater hose where it comes out of the passenger side of the motor and goes behind it to the firewall, it goes to the valve which is connected to a rod coming through the firewall then there is a short hose from the valve to the heater core pipe sticking through the firewall. I'll try to find a pic of it.
A pic would be great :p

Well thanks for the help! Any further responses are greatly appreciated. I won't have access to CI the next few days (until Sunday) as I'm going to a leadership conference thing tomorrow till Sunday. I'll check back when I'm home again. Thanks again everyone.

seahtech

Okay so there are a few misconceptions about a/c. The a/c system is not a completely or perfectly sealed system So what does this mean? It means you have to maintain it. Shocker iknorite you have to maintain another thing!! :eek:

What maintenance is required and why isn't it a perfectly sealed system?
All the a/c fittings are sealed with simple rubber o-rings. Just like condoms these rubbers wear out and will start to leak. They can leak verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slowly to the point where it may take a few years to notice a significant difference in outlet temp or they can simply take a sh*t and you'll notice it overnight. Every few years you should expect to need your system recharged with refrigerant and I dont mean one of those cans from the auto parts store.

What are the most common things that leak?
The most obvious to find and common are the o-rings. They are located at any fitting or junction. The second is the condenser. This is infront of the radiator so it is the target for debris and object that can punture the fins. Because of this it is obvious why the radiator sits behind it.

What do refrigerant leaks look like?
Typically they look like a wet spot or simply a dark spot on one of the lines, juntcions, or condenser. Typically road grime will stick to it if its available or reachable. Make sure to look for these obvious signs. Look towars the bottom of the condenser. Once you find it you should really take it to an a/c shop and have them repair it, or do the repair urself but have them recharge the system for you.