looking for project car

ramm21

Hello all,
First post here. I'm familiar with subies, drive a wrx right now. I want to track a car, so I'm selling my wrx to buy a commuter car and a project car. I have a 10k budget for the project, plus I'll be able to put a little money towards the car every month..
How good are integras as track cars? What kind of car can I expect to buy and mod for 10K? I was originally looking for an STI, but even finding a salvage title with over 100k miles is a tough task for under 10k. If anyone has suggestions ill be glad to hear them- also if you know of hondas or any other type of car I can get into with my budget feel free to throw that out there. I'm not looking to race competitively for now, just a fun car i can drive at the limit.

ramm21

Miata or S2000
Those 2 are on the radar as well. Another question- would you guys try to buy a car thats modded a lot? or try to find a good unmodded car and start your own build? I would say I lean towards getting a car thats all modded already, but its such a huge risk..

Muckman

Not a M0derator
It is a huge risk buying someone elses project car but I think the value to the buyer can go up significantly. You have to be extremely knowledgeable about what has been done to the car in terms of parts and labor then be able to compare it to the correct way of doing things. Also trust is a huge factor because many parts or labor are not visible to inspection.

Last edited:

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
^agree completely

I'd have to know the person and car if I was to buy a project. But if you aren't very, very, very knowledgable at what you're buying and how to fix it, I would stay with something granny owned and driven. I think for a first time project it's more fun to start from scratch. Once you've built a few cars and know what you want, then it's ok to try and reap some benefits from taking over someone else's.