LS/VTEC an automatic?

mteg

Automatic Lover
I've heard that this is possible bolting the b18 auto tranny up to the h22. I'm not a big h series fan caus it's a heavy ass motor that throws the balance off on the car. Not to mention, you can gain just as much from a b series motor. I would personally swap in a built b16 in before doing a h swap in my teg. I think anyone attempting an ls vtech swap in an automatic teg deserves loads of respect cause it's something that just hasn't really been done before. I've seen 2 automatic gsr's in magazines-1 was from japan and the other was built by an amputee. An lsvtech automatic would be awesome. Anyone can build up a gsr, no offense to anyone owning one, but it's been done. A build like this would have a much better chance of recieving magaize coverage, and would inspire more automatic owners to build what they have vs. holding out for something else.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
I have a 91 Accord (CB7) and am planning to swap in an H22 (manual). I have a friend who has a 4dr that an auto H22. His CB7 was featured on Honda Tuning. It was the March 2006 issue.

DC2Integ

I ♥ My Integra
i dont know i still think its gonna be too mcuh money but hey if you got the cash to throw around like that then hey go for it cuz i have never seen it done before. and like mteg said there isnt really much support for auto hondas. your best bet is to look online for an jdm auto tranny ive seen them on ebay before just search.

killakevv

eat sleep JDM
yeaaa i was thinking of going that wayy just seemed like a little too much for me right now so im just building my block up and once i get there ill have my mind set.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Honda automatic trannys suck, there made to handle the power they are sold with and nothing more, there small, weak, and good for gas mileage and thats it. And shit is shit there is no making it better.

mteg

Automatic Lover
Honda automatic trannys suck, there made to handle the power they are sold with and nothing more, there small, weak, and good for gas mileage and thats it. And shit is shit there is no making it better.
Even more reason to try it!

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
no point of moddifying a auto civic / teg. waste of money for performance parts IMO unless you swap a 5spd in there.

i had an auto civic once... lots of dreams and hopes... in the end it was only worth doing the 5spd swap.

mteg

Automatic Lover
no point of moddifying a auto civic / teg. waste of money for performance parts IMO unless you swap a 5spd in there.

i had an auto civic once... lots of dreams and hopes... in the end it was only worth doing the 5spd swap.
Thats the same kind of attitude that people take on moddifiying a teg. You're better off just starting off with an rsx, or even something like an evo if all you want is an easier project. I think it's funny that when anyone talks about modifiying an automatic teg everyone either says do a 5-speed swap or just buy gsr instead of offering encouragement. Resistance like this is making me feel like I accidently logged onto Team Integra this morning. LOL, but a few of them acutally like the idea of a jdm automatic gsr/ls vtech conversion.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
They don't make the jdm trannys beefier, the problem is is that they are so small and they don't use the same setup as domestic ones do, they use a different setup with smaller plates and skinnier gears that just don't stand up to higher horsepower. Unless some company starts making aftermarket automatic transmissions you are out of luck. You can upgrade your torque converter all you want, thats not going to stop your transmission from breaking. Read through the new issue of Honda Tuning(I think it was honda tuning) if you get a chance they go a little more in depth with it in there, I was just reading it and it shed some light on me (which is why i'm voicing my new found opinion). Also no one is trying to put you down or discourage you, we're just trying to stop you from going down a bad road, but if you really feel that confident in you abilities to make this work and be satisfied with it then ignore us and go do it. It's not like we're not going to like you because you built an auto teg.

Last edited:

mteg

Automatic Lover
I read the honda tuning issue and was supprised that they didn't contact level 10 on this. Level 10 will build stage 2 and 3 transmissions in addition to the torque converter upgrades. I agree taht building a manual car is easier but theres too many uneducated kids out there that are quick to discourage someone for trying something different. My friends n/a gsr jsut pulled 175 whp on the dyno the other night. We're going to the dyno sat morning along with another friend with a k-pro tuned rsx. My buddy seems to think my automtic gs is going to pull higher numenbrs with a 50 shot of nitrous. Granted I'm going to be running boost but I'm also running a non vtech automatic. Anyway, we'll see how it goes. I jsut get pissed off when some kid with a gsr with nothing more thatn an intake, header and exhust (that came with the car) has the balls to call automatic or ls tegs pos's, or discourage someone from trying something different. I've spent lots of time and money on my car, and done the work pretty much myself. I'll post the the dyno slip up this weekend, I'm sure i'll have all sorts of people saying I cheated by using nitrous. Doesn't really matter to me. Hopefully I can be some inspiration to others with automatics ot there.

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
Thats the same kind of attitude that people take on moddifiying a teg. You're better off just starting off with an rsx, or even something like an evo if all you want is an easier project. I think it's funny that when anyone talks about modifiying an automatic teg everyone either says do a 5-speed swap or just buy gsr instead of offering encouragement. Resistance like this is making me feel like I accidently logged onto Team Integra this morning. LOL, but a few of them acutally like the idea of a jdm automatic gsr/ls vtech conversion.
i wasn't trying to hurt your dreams... but i had this dilemma 5 years ago w/ the civic... and i had to face the facts. it wasn't worth it, it was still gonna be slower than a manual transmission with the same mods. thats how i saw it. btw the 5spd conversion costed me $500'ish for all the parts along with a new clutch.

its your money and your car, do what you want to it, jus dont regret it later. :thumbup:

Last edited:

DC2Integ

I ♥ My Integra
its the truth though. unless you pur a good amount of money into the tranny you wont get very far performance wise. trust me speaking from a guy who had an auto LS.

ep3er

Resistance is futile. I will go through with this regardless of what people say. On EPhatch.com I wanted to try an OBX lsd for my 02 supercharged civic hatch. People started posting negative things like, "Oh that's not a good brand, it's really cheap." "I would not do it if I were you." "Your tranny is gonna get f***ed." and things like that. Guess what, I did the install and I never had any problems with the lsd unit. So in order to find out how if something's gonna work you gotta go out there and try it out. That's just the way I see things.

Last edited: